Highlighted
Ang
Occasional Contributor

Natural alternatives to meds

My 8 year old cat is on Amitryptline and Dasoquin for his cystitus.  He has had UTI in the past.  The vet says he's fine, but might be suffering from cystitus.  He growls and hisses at our 10 month old kitten.  The kitten is pretty agressive and wants to play all the time.  He's as big as the 8 year old cat.  I understand him growling and hissing since he doesn't want to play all the time, but sometimes it's more than usual.  They do play a lot together throughout the day.  I wonder if there might be some alternatives I can use other than always using medication on him.  I've tried the feliway plug ins and collar.  They don't seem to work.  I just want to make sure he's not in pain and feeling happy.  I know the vet's solution is always giving meds and taking him back.  I can't do that since each visit ends up being $150!

2 REPLIES
Occasional Contributor

Re: Natural alternatives to meds

Cats must be on a very high protein food to prevent cystitis/UTI. Typically this is caused by alkaline urine, which is caused by plant products. Make absolutely sure you are never feeding any corn, wheat or soy.

Diffusing essential oils such as lavender, chamomile or ylang ylang might help calm the older cat. Look into T-Touch. It is similar to massage and can be very calming. Be sure to play with the young kitty often so he isn't over-stimulated when the older cat is around.

Also learn how to trim their nails - probably 1 nail at a time. This should prevent serious injury. My final tip is to purchase a water fountain and slowly transition your cats to use it. More water dilutes the urine, which is good. Only give filtered or distilled water, not tap water.
Ang
Occasional Contributor

Re: Natural alternatives to meds

I switched both their food to Blue Buffalo Freedom food so it's grain free and they both love it!  They have a water fountain.  I add extra water to my 8 year old's food so he gets plenty of water content.  He does not drink that often from the fountain.  Last time I took him to the vet they checked his bladder and saw that his urine is diluted.  We do trim their nails on a regular basis to.  So I must be giving him enough extra water.  I have diffused Good Night Synergy blend by Eden's Garden.  It's similar to DoTerra's Serenity.  I've been kind of nervous to diffuse around the cats since there are so many warnings out there about diffusing essential oils around them.  I'll make sure the kitten is more tired to see if that helps.  He's our crazy critter and loves to play non-stop.  He's very high energy.

This morning when the kitten heard him scratching around in the litter box he took off running over there and when he came walking out of the room the kitten started chasing him since he wanted to play.  My older cat hissed and took off running.  I grabbed the kitten to make him stop chasing.

Latest Discussion
View more discussions
Training & Behavior

Cat stressed out and pooping everywhere

By Suela on Jul. 18, 2017
I have had my cat since he was a kitten. He is 10 yrs old, a...
Training & Behavior

Natural alternatives to meds

By Ang on Feb. 18, 2017
My 8 year old cat is on Amitryptline and Dasoquin for his cy...
Training & Behavior

Meowing while using the litter box

By sarah5004 on Dec. 9, 2016
I recently got a kitten and she is about 8 weeks old. She is...
Training & Behavior

Biting kitten

By Em5 on Nov. 23, 2016
Help! My kitten loves to bite, sometimes very hard. She was...
Training & Behavior

Help! Kitten only uses the litter box sometimes.

By Em5 on Nov. 23, 2016
My kitten is 9 weeks old and has been in my home for over a...
Training & Behavior

Jumping

By WeAreBlessed3 on Nov. 19, 2016
We adopted a 5 month old Abyssinian kitten 2 months ago. She...
I adopted a cat in April 2016. In July, my daughter moved in...
Training & Behavior

6 yr old cat HELP!

By PuppyLover22 on Oct. 27, 2016
My wife and I adopted a now 6 year old cat and we're having...
Training & Behavior

Kitten separation anxiety

By Jenn on Jul. 5, 2016
About two-and-a-half months ago I got two kittens. One was a...
Training & Behavior

Cat Avoiding Rooms

By Harry on May. 13, 2016
We have a brother and sister cat about 3 years old. A few we...
Read all discussions