Em5
New Contributor

Help! Kitten only uses the litter box sometimes.

My kitten is 9 weeks old and has been in my home for over a month.  She still doesn't understand that the litter box is the only place she is supposed to pee.  I clean it daily, I'm using litter that is made for training kittens, and I moved it to a spot she frequently pees in. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
New Contributor

Re: Help! Kitten only uses the litter box sometimes.

You can have several litter boxes around the house. Place them in the areas she likes to pee in. Also try different types of litter in the boxes and different size boxes. Example ones with sand, pellets, shredded newspaper. It might seem excessive but it works to train them and you can find out her preferences. Once she is trained you can go down to 1 or 2 boxes.
3 REPLIES
Community Manager

Hi Em5, and welcome to the community. I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble litter training your kitty. I have a few questions to start. What kind of litter and litter box are you using? And where do you keep her? 

Often, when training a new kitty, it is best to keep their space limited (in a bathroom, for instance) so there are fewer places to have accidents. If she is still very small, it is best to have an open litterbox with low sides so it is easy for her to get in and out of. Some kitties are very particiuar about litter (mine refuses to use the sandy, clumping types, for instance) so you may need to experiment with different brands and textures. 

Please let us know some additional details, and we'll be happy to help you troubleshoot and hopefully get this lil girl litter-trained! Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Em5
New Contributor

Hello. Thank you for the welcome and the quick response! The litter box is small and low to the ground.  I'm using Blue Buffalo walnut-based quick-clumping litter for kittens (up to 1 year). 

She has run of the house when I'm home. When I'm not, I keep her locked in my bedroom. She no longer has accidents when she's in my room because I have blocked all of her favorite places to go (the litter box is in one of them). When she's out, sometimes she'll run right to the new carpet in the living room to pee, or she'll use the big potted plant in the bathroom if she's in the other part of the house.

New Contributor

You can have several litter boxes around the house. Place them in the areas she likes to pee in. Also try different types of litter in the boxes and different size boxes. Example ones with sand, pellets, shredded newspaper. It might seem excessive but it works to train them and you can find out her preferences. Once she is trained you can go down to 1 or 2 boxes.
Latest Discussion
View more discussions
Training & Behavior

Natural alternatives to meds

By Ang on Feb. 18, 2017
My 8 year old cat is on Amitryptline and Dasoquin for his cy...
Training & Behavior

Meowing while using the litter box

By sarah5004 on Dec. 9, 2016
I recently got a kitten and she is about 8 weeks old. She is...
Training & Behavior

Biting kitten

By Em5 on Nov. 23, 2016
Help! My kitten loves to bite, sometimes very hard. She was...
Training & Behavior

Help! Kitten only uses the litter box sometimes.

By Em5 on Nov. 23, 2016
My kitten is 9 weeks old and has been in my home for over a...
Training & Behavior

Jumping

By WeAreBlessed3 on Nov. 19, 2016
We adopted a 5 month old Abyssinian kitten 2 months ago. She...
I adopted a cat in April 2016. In July, my daughter moved in...
Training & Behavior

6 yr old cat HELP!

By PuppyLover22 on Oct. 27, 2016
My wife and I adopted a now 6 year old cat and we're having...
Training & Behavior

Kitten separation anxiety

By Jenn on Jul. 5, 2016
About two-and-a-half months ago I got two kittens. One was a...
Training & Behavior

Cat Avoiding Rooms

By Harry on May. 13, 2016
We have a brother and sister cat about 3 years old. A few we...
Training & Behavior

Leash Training my 4 month old kitten

By Goob15 on Dec. 20, 2015
I am having trouble leash training my kitten. I want to be a...
Read all discussions