Highlighted
New Contributor

First time cat owner

My kitty is 3 months looks like he 6 or 7 months to be honest . He came from a foster home along with 2 others. I have him as he was the independent non scratching one but when I come to him he backs up isn't most kittens friendly and playful . All he does is sleep and eat and he doesn't want any water. if I go upstairs to bathroom he starts yowling he is staying in our guest bathroom temporarily. we have door closed since he still likes to hide which he does when I come to visit him he hides behind the toilet. When I'm not there now he uses the bed it's hard to explain . Anybody have any advice ??? Did I make the right decision adopting him I didn't know he be like this he let me hold him at shelter he was purring on me . Should I have gotten an older one or a different one ? Smiley Sad It was free for clear the shelter day!!!

4 REPLIES
Community Manager

Re: First time cat owner

Hi meliz1990

Welcome the community and congratulations on your new kitty! Here's some articles and blogs from our community that mya be helpful for you: tips for new kitty/cat parents and everything you want to know about getting a new kitten. Like any new pet, it takes time for them to get acclimated to their new home. Take it slow, each animal is unique and the time-frame depends on their personality. Don't give up! Just let him have his own space with food, fresh water and a litter box so he can access them without being disturbed. Once he feels more comfortable, I'm sure he'll start to come out of his shell and the closet! Also, Petco stores offer a Pet Parent Starter Guide which includes an animal specific savings booklet, new pet parent checklists and a free welcome to the family tote. For more information on this program click: here. What's his name? I hope you'll check back in with an update and a photo of your new kitty!

Alex Cat Very Happy

Contributor

I don't know anything about cats. I just suggest you don't get rid of Kitty.
New Contributor

His name is MIso that's what his foster mom named him I'm debating on keeping it or name him jacey. He is 3 months . I want to hold him but I don't think he ready for that yet. How do I do a pic???
Community Manager

Hi Meliz1990.

To upload a photo, click on the 'Photos' icon in the text box

Capture.JPG

From there, you can select a photo from your computer to upload. Just select the photo and size you want it to appear and click upload.

Capture.JPG

Please note that photos posted to the community are screened first and will not appear automatically. I hope this helps!

Alex Cat Very Happy

Latest Discussion
View more discussions
Training & Behavior

First time cat owner

By meliz1990 on Aug. 21, 2017
My kitty is 3 months looks like he 6 or 7 months to be hones...
Training & Behavior

Cat stressed out and pooping everywhere

By Suela on Jul. 18, 2017
I have had my cat since he was a kitten. He is 10 yrs old, a...
Training & Behavior

Natural alternatives to meds

By Ang on Feb. 18, 2017
My 8 year old cat is on Amitryptline and Dasoquin for his cy...
Training & Behavior

Meowing while using the litter box

By sarah5004 on Dec. 9, 2016
I recently got a kitten and she is about 8 weeks old. She is...
Training & Behavior

Biting kitten

By Em5 on Nov. 23, 2016
Help! My kitten loves to bite, sometimes very hard. She was...
Training & Behavior

Help! Kitten only uses the litter box sometimes.

By Em5 on Nov. 23, 2016
My kitten is 9 weeks old and has been in my home for over a...
Training & Behavior

Jumping

By WeAreBlessed3 on Nov. 19, 2016
We adopted a 5 month old Abyssinian kitten 2 months ago. She...
I adopted a cat in April 2016. In July, my daughter moved in...
Training & Behavior

6 yr old cat HELP!

By PuppyLover22 on Oct. 27, 2016
My wife and I adopted a now 6 year old cat and we're having...
Training & Behavior

Kitten separation anxiety

By Jenn on Jul. 5, 2016
About two-and-a-half months ago I got two kittens. One was a...
Read all discussions