Cat stressed out and pooping everywhere

I have had my cat since he was a kitten. He is 10 yrs old, and he has always been a well behaved cat, just stresses easily. I am pregnant, and we are fixing up our house and preparing the nursery, and all the changes have made him act very bizarre! He started pooping all around the house and hissing at us. Nothing medically is wrong with him. We put him outside on the screened in back porch and within a day he was normal. But he isn't handling the Texas heat, and I know he won't handle the winter, and i feel bad that he is out in the heat. Is there anything i can do to help him? We don't know what else to do, because being pregnant i can't deal with our touch cat poop. So it has turned into a health issue for him. We can't get friends or family to take him. Foster places don't accept cats over 3 yrs old.
2 REPLIES
Community Manager

Re: Cat stressed out and pooping everywhere

Hi Suela

Welcome to the community, I'm sorry to hear about your cat's situation. Have you consulted with your vet to see if this is caused by a more serious health condition? I recommend speaking with them first to rule out any major issues. In the meantime, you may also want to ask this question to the PetCoach, the light blue/teal box that's located at the bottom of the screen here and on any page in the community. If you're still unable to care for the cat, here's an article from the community with tips for re-homing a pet.

Alex 

Highlighted

Re: Cat stressed out and pooping everywhere

Have you stopped renovations? He should go back to normal after it is done if there's been loud noises, different scents, etc. Is his litter box being cleaned everyday? Is his litter being changed completely out at least every two weeks? Does he have two boxes? For every cat you need one box plus one. Do you have multiple floors? If you have an upstairs and down stairs you need a box upstairs then one down. You should never put two boxes next two each other they should be in different parts of the house. Also ditch any covers you put on boxes. Cats naturally prefer having an open space that's not enclosed when they use the restroom because they feel more safe having more directions to run if need be. You can try an attractant litter. Dr elseys 'cat attract' litter is excellent. Is he on a high quality senior food? Cats just as people become a bit senile when they get older and senior formulas are made to help with any aging issues the cat may have. You can also try a feeliway diffuser. Feeliway is an artifisial hormone that mimics the hormone cats excrete when they bump their faces against stuff. It helps calm them down and feel more at home. I have a male cat that started having litter box issues when I brought another cat in. I was convinced there was something wrong with him and that i would have to get rid of him just as you feel now but after I learned all these tips from my vet and followed all of them he never had an accident again. Good luck.
Latest Discussion
View more discussions
Training & Behavior

First time cat owner

By meliz1990 on Aug. 21, 2017
My kitty is 3 months looks like he 6 or 7 months to be hones...
Training & Behavior

Cat stressed out and pooping everywhere

By Suela on Jul. 18, 2017
I have had my cat since he was a kitten. He is 10 yrs old, a...
Training & Behavior

Natural alternatives to meds

By Ang on Feb. 18, 2017
My 8 year old cat is on Amitryptline and Dasoquin for his cy...
Training & Behavior

Meowing while using the litter box

By sarah5004 on Dec. 9, 2016
I recently got a kitten and she is about 8 weeks old. She is...
Training & Behavior

Biting kitten

By Em5 on Nov. 23, 2016
Help! My kitten loves to bite, sometimes very hard. She was...
Training & Behavior

Help! Kitten only uses the litter box sometimes.

By Em5 on Nov. 23, 2016
My kitten is 9 weeks old and has been in my home for over a...
Training & Behavior

Jumping

By WeAreBlessed3 on Nov. 19, 2016
We adopted a 5 month old Abyssinian kitten 2 months ago. She...
I adopted a cat in April 2016. In July, my daughter moved in...
Training & Behavior

6 yr old cat HELP!

By PuppyLover22 on Oct. 27, 2016
My wife and I adopted a now 6 year old cat and we're having...
Training & Behavior

Kitten separation anxiety

By Jenn on Jul. 5, 2016
About two-and-a-half months ago I got two kittens. One was a...
Read all discussions