Highlighted

guinea pig neutering

We recently adopted two guinea pigs from petco. Although we specifically asked for two females, one of the pigs they showed us was actually a male. We didn't notice at the time, but when we got home and checked it was very obvious that he was a male. There is no way that it was a mistake. I think petco lied about his sex because male guinea pigs are less desirable to adopt. However, the two pigs (male and female) seem to really like each other but we can't let them be togeether because we don't want any babies. We would be absolutely heartbroken to return either one of them. Since petco lied aboout the sex of one of them, would it be reasonable to ask them to pay for him to be neutered?

3 REPLIES
Community Manager

Re: guinea pig neutering

Hi annaandherpigs. Please email us at PTPsupport@petco.com with your contact information and store location and we'll see what we can do. Thank you!
Frequent Contributor

Hello annaandherpigs,

Is it possible that you could put a divider in there cage? And then when it is time for play watch them very closely. I am sure Petco made a mistake, I am so sorry that it had to happen to you thought.Smiley Sad

Maybe if there is a accident you can give the babies back to Petco.Smiley Very Happy Hope I helped out.

RatLover252525Heart

New Contributor

If the two were together for even a few hours the female already could be pregnant. Keep a close eye on her and watch for any signs of early pregnancy such as drinking excessively, eating more, obvious weight gain ( will begin to look eggplant shaped)

Since they are sold at a young age a pregnant female can have complications. 

As far as the male, I know from experience that neutering is very risky and can end in losing your precious boy. Also the surgery cannot be done until a certain age, I'm pretty sure its 6 months. So they would still have to be separate until he is the safe age.

A Midwest cage with separation grid is a very good solution or build a c&c with same idea.

Best of luck in whatever you chose to do!!!!!

Latest Discussion
View more discussions
Small Animal General

Not happy with Petco gift cards

By OreoTheBunny06 on Dec. 8, 2017
Hi. So yesterday I got my 2 gift cards for winning Second an...
Small Animal General

Thank you Petco!

By OreoTheBunny06 on Dec. 4, 2017
I just wanna say how great Petco is!!! When ever I need help...
Small Animal General

ISO hedgehog in Tampa, Florida

By TampaMia on Dec. 3, 2017
I am disabled with a 16 year old with aspirations of becomin...
Small Animal General

My hamster died

By kistybland on Oct. 23, 2017
I brought a hamster home last week and it got sick that same...
Small Animal General

What will happen to the sick mouse I returned to the store?

By jorn on Sep. 26, 2017
The store is in hemet, ca. I exchanged a very sick skinny mo...
Small Animal General

HELP my hamster!

By mamalito on Sep. 21, 2017
We bought a robo hamster about 8 months ago and he has alway...
Small Animal General

Baby Hamster

By ToxicKitty on Sep. 17, 2017
I was wondering if there was any chance that I could buy a b...
I have a female Chinese dwarf hamster I absolutely love. I g...
Small Animal General

Hamster died

By Fluffy2701 on Aug. 22, 2017
Hello! I had a hamster and he got sick three days back. Unfo...
Read all discussions