Orphaned Baby Mice

Hi.  Sadly my dog uncovered a mouse nest yesterday and killed the mother mouse along with one of the babies.  My two daughters and I were able to stop her from getting the other 3 babies.  My 12 yr old loves animals and has always wanted to grow up to rescue animals so she has insisted on helping them. I am wondering what I should do with them?  They are safe in a box that my daughter filled with fleece material, but I am worried they will starve.  How do I find a safe place for these babies where they can be cared for properly?  Thank you.

3 REPLIES
Community Manager

Re: Orphaned Baby Mice

Hi canesm.

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community! I'm happy to hear that your daughter wants to grow up to rescues animals! All Petco stores work closely with local animal rescues to help animals in need, I suggest calling your local store to see if they can offer advice on places that will take in mice. You can find the number to call the store nearest you here: www.petco.com/locator.

In the meantime, here's an article with information on the basic care for mice and a blog with tips on how to keep their habitat fresh. I hope this helps!

Highlighted
New Contributor

I would get dog or cat milk mix and a plastic small cage about 4' by 5' and water down the milk then feed them with a eye dropper.  Line the cage temporarilily with shredded tissue.  Keep them warm by heating up their food.  Let me know it you are going to keep them.  -Mousegirl101Cat Wink

Just curious,, why would you stop an animal from doing what Nature designed it to do?
Latest Discussion
View more discussions
Small Animal General

Not happy with Petco gift cards

By OreoTheBunny06 on Dec. 8, 2017
Hi. So yesterday I got my 2 gift cards for winning Second an...
Small Animal General

Thank you Petco!

By OreoTheBunny06 on Dec. 4, 2017
I just wanna say how great Petco is!!! When ever I need help...
Small Animal General

ISO hedgehog in Tampa, Florida

By TampaMia on Dec. 3, 2017
I am disabled with a 16 year old with aspirations of becomin...
Small Animal General

My hamster died

By kistybland on Oct. 23, 2017
I brought a hamster home last week and it got sick that same...
Small Animal General

What will happen to the sick mouse I returned to the store?

By jorn on Sep. 26, 2017
The store is in hemet, ca. I exchanged a very sick skinny mo...
Small Animal General

HELP my hamster!

By mamalito on Sep. 21, 2017
We bought a robo hamster about 8 months ago and he has alway...
Small Animal General

Baby Hamster

By ToxicKitty on Sep. 17, 2017
I was wondering if there was any chance that I could buy a b...
I have a female Chinese dwarf hamster I absolutely love. I g...
Small Animal General

Hamster died

By Fluffy2701 on Aug. 22, 2017
Hello! I had a hamster and he got sick three days back. Unfo...
Read all discussions