Highlighted
Contributor

My rabbit, Chestnut is losing fur... what should I do about it?

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I have 4 rabbits, three girls and two boys. They live outside in a hutch that we just finished building, and the boy rabbit lives separate from the girl rabbits. Chestnut is the one who is losing fur, and she is also the mom of the three other rabbits. 

I just went to check on the rabbits, and Chestnut has a bald patch on her forehead. I am pretty sure that one of her daughters, Hazelnut, has been picking on her fur. I know she is not nesting and having any other babies. Why is Hazelnut (possibly) picking at Chestnut? And what should I do about it? I can always separate them, but I cannot separate them forever. If you have any suggestions, please reply. Thank you. Cat Very Happy

9 REPLIES
Community Representative

Re: My rabbit, Chestnut is losing fur... what should I do about it?

Hi beaglepug02. We've asked our animal expert regarding your concern and here's her reply:

Have you seen Hazelnut picking at that specific spot on Chestnut? If so, does she pick at any other spots on the body, are those spots bald as well?

If you notice the girls are picking on each other causing the bald spot, they may need something as simple as more enrichment to stimulate their mind and prevent destructive boredom behaviors. If that is not successful, they should be separated. If your males are not neutered, you could discuss that option with your veterinarian as changing living arrangements may be feasible option with neutered males.  

If you are not seeing destructive behavior, thinning hair and bald spots can be caused by several things, I have provided a few of the most common health concerns below. Your local vet should be able to help you identify/diagnose and treat the health concern at hand.

• External parasites are a concern to consider with animals exposed to outside elements, are these animals on any prevention products?
    • Mites and lice either cannot be seen or are difficult to see with the naked eye; fleas or ticks can be seen by the naked eye. Excessive itching due to external parasites can lead to hair loss and possible disease transmission.   
  • Ringworm generally causes hair loss in localized in the shape of a circle, and is often accompanied by dry crusty skin.
  • Allergies are generally not specific to one small location on  the body but could be a potential cause of hair thinning, hair loss, or excessive itching.

Hope it helps. 

Contributor

Hi,

I will try to get them more rabbit toys to play with. I definitely know it's not mites, because they had mites a year ago and it doesn't look like mites. 

I haven't seen Hazel picking on Chestnut, but I am assuming that, because I have seen some bite marks on my other girl rabbit, Strawberry. (I haven't seen any bite marks on Hazel) 

Do you have any recommendations for good rabbit toys? 

Thanks for getting back to me! Smiley Happy

Community Manager

Hi beaglepug02

Thank you for your question, here's an article from the community with tips on how to play with your rabbit and one on how to rabbit proof your house. There's also a variety of toys and chews on petco.com (and at your local Petco store) that would be great for your rabbit, check them out here. I hope this helps and would love to see a photo of Hazel and Chestnut!

Alex Cat Very Happy

Contributor

I will definitely try to get them some more toys. Here's (left to right) Hazelnut, Strawberry, and Chestnut posing in sunglassesCat Happy 

IMG_2348.JPG

Community Manager

Aww they're so precious, great photo! You've been entering them into our weekly contests right? We have fun new themes each week, for chances to win a gift card check them out here

Alex Cat Tongue

Community Manager

Aww they're so precious, great photo! You've been entering them into our weekly contests right? We have fun new themes each week, for chances to win a gift card check them out here

Alex Cat Tongue

Contributor

Hi again...
The other day, I went to Petco and bought like 4 different toys. I bought one for my boy rabbit, Hoppy, but the rest were given to the other rabbits. I bought a salt lick, a chewy stick barbell, and then a chewy stick ball. I gave it to them that day.

The next day, I went to feed them, and I looked into the cage and the only toy was the salt/mineral lick.
I stared around, wondering where my new toys for them went...
Well, the cage setup we have is wire, and they completely shredded the toys and they fell to the ground.
Not only that, but Chestnut isn't making any progress, sadly. She's not deathly ill or anything though.
I think I did see Hazel picking at the other rabbit though.

Is it possible it could be like a vitamin deficiency?
Thank you!!!!!

Contributor

[ Edited ]

My boy rabbit is named Hoppy too! Mine is a lop eared, fluffy brown and white. My Hoppy is shedding to ready for his winter coat (we live in Wisconsin). I'm not sure about brand but I bought a plush banana mine likes and the ones that hang on cage to be chewed are a favorite. The balls made of woven grass or the ones that look like twisted wood are chewed apart quickly but really enjoyed!

Contributor

Yes, thankfully Chestnut is doing SO much better now because we separated her from the other bunnies. She is also growing her winter coat. 

Latest Discussion
View more discussions
Small Animal General

Not happy with Petco gift cards

By OreoTheBunny06 on Dec. 8, 2017
Hi. So yesterday I got my 2 gift cards for winning Second an...
Small Animal General

Thank you Petco!

By OreoTheBunny06 on Dec. 4, 2017
I just wanna say how great Petco is!!! When ever I need help...
Small Animal General

ISO hedgehog in Tampa, Florida

By TampaMia on Dec. 3, 2017
I am disabled with a 16 year old with aspirations of becomin...
Small Animal General

My hamster died

By kistybland on Oct. 23, 2017
I brought a hamster home last week and it got sick that same...
Small Animal General

What will happen to the sick mouse I returned to the store?

By jorn on Sep. 26, 2017
The store is in hemet, ca. I exchanged a very sick skinny mo...
Small Animal General

HELP my hamster!

By mamalito on Sep. 21, 2017
We bought a robo hamster about 8 months ago and he has alway...
Small Animal General

Baby Hamster

By ToxicKitty on Sep. 17, 2017
I was wondering if there was any chance that I could buy a b...
I have a female Chinese dwarf hamster I absolutely love. I g...
Small Animal General

Hamster died

By Fluffy2701 on Aug. 22, 2017
Hello! I had a hamster and he got sick three days back. Unfo...
Read all discussions