New Contributor

30% off Sale on Saltwater Fish..

Went into a store today in Troy Ohio.  Found an amazing fish that i was really on the fence with.  I know they have had some serious issues with parasite recently, and didn't want to fall into that trap.  I asked the saltwater sales rep if I could buy him today and wait a few days just to make sure all is good.  He told me NO. Sad but ok..

He then told me in a few days they were having a big sale on saltwater fish.  I told him i was thinking about waiting for the sale, and also seeing if the fish stays healthy. That's when he informed me that if I waited he was going to buy this fish before they opened the day of the sale with the 30% off and his employee discount of 20%.  

I bought the beautiful fish.  $100 well spend>>> I HOPE>>>

Really sad this is the way Petco does business  though.  Guess they cant control everyone who works for them.

5 REPLIES
Esteemed Contributor

Re: 30% off Sale on Saltwater Fish..

I kind of agree with you.  I know that the reality is that Fish Store employees get first look at everything, but this employee should have had enough tact to put it another way. I don't like to be forced into a decision like that. You were being sensible and trying to avoid an impulse purchase-- which everyone agrees is a good way to acquire new livestock, and then this guy forced your hand.  Now, if he really intended to buy the fish, that's one thing. He could be seen as candid. But if he was just trying to get you to pay full price, that's a little shady. One thing you might have tried is to calmly ask to see the manager on duty and explain your side of things.  Sometimes the manager's discretion will fall in your favor--especially if she or he thinks their cooperation will make you a more loyal customer.  It's always worth a shot.  The key is to remain calm and friendly and logical in explaining why you ask that they hold the fish for you.  

On the other hand, given the longevity of  many marine fish, a 30% savings usually won't alter my decision. Really outstanding specimens are rare, and if they are healthy and eating and perfect and it's a species I have been planning on, I buy it.  My Annularis Angel was a little more than I wanted to pay at the time, but this is a species that can live twenty years if everything goes well. Now, eight years later with him still going strong, I realize that he was worth every penny, sale or no sale.  The same is true for a beautiful Powder Brown Tang I bought seven years ago,  This was a Petco purchase, and like you, they refused to hold him for me.  I had to buy him immediately, which was not how I wanted to do it. But I made a good choice.  He was perfect and remains in excellent health. People don't realize how crucial it is to buy the absolute best specimens they can.  Never be afraid to say "no". Buying livestock should never be like any other aquarium chore.  It may take you weeks or months before you find the particular fish you're looking for. If it's a really rare fish, it could take longer.

I have to tell you this though, too. We all should behave as if every fish store is having bad parasite problems all the time, because, for all we can know,  they are. With fish moving in and out on a weekly basis, no one ever can be sure that a fish will be parasite free in a week or two weeks because other fish, potentially infected fish, will have entered the system.  The only safe method is to set up your own Quarantine tank for every new acquisition.  I quarantine each and every fish I buy, fresh water and Marine.. My trouble with the Petco policy of not holding fish, is that we don't all keep out QT tanks set up at all times. While I was stocking my marine tank, I INTENTIONALLY didn't have the QT tank up and running all the time--because I knew I might be tempted to buy fish impulsively if I made things too easy on myself. Know what I mean? If I REALLY wanted a fish, I had to go through the small hassle of setting up the QT.  

Incidentally: what did you buy, and how's he doing?   Thanks for writing to this forum. It's a good place to ask questions and let your voice be heard.
Best,

Randy

sid luckman.jpg

“The oceans are the planet's last great living wilderness, man's only remaining frontier on Earth, and perhaps his last chance to prove himself a rational species.”
― John L. Culliney
Community Representative

Hi lucassmith1. I'm sorry to hear about your experience but we appreciate you bringing it to our attention. I have gone ahead and shared this with our team for further handling. Thank you.

Highlighted
New Contributor

Thank you so much for the response. I hope my post help someone else with less experience in the same position I was in.
New Contributor

Wow thanks for the great response. I feel the same way you do on so many of your points.
I picked up a beautiful Purple Tang. He's the latest addition to my 300g with 9 other Tangs. And various others. He's doing great so far. It's been almost 24 hours. He's schooling like he's been in their forever and eating well.
Esteemed Contributor

I think you did well. Great fish. Used to be completely unaffordable.  Hope all goes well. 

randy

“The oceans are the planet's last great living wilderness, man's only remaining frontier on Earth, and perhaps his last chance to prove himself a rational species.”
― John L. Culliney
Latest Discussion
View more discussions
Salt Water

Free fish

By Bycoo222 on May. 19, 2017
Hi I live in the Gloucester ma area and I'm trying to get ri...
Salt Water

One minute of My Marine Tank

By huachinango on May. 12, 2017
https://www.facebook.com/randall.schultz.96/videos/vb.100004...
Salt Water

30% off Sale on Saltwater Fish..

By lucassmith1 on Mar. 19, 2017
Went into a store today in Troy Ohio. Found an amazing fish...
Hello. I have wanted to start a saltwater tank since I was l...
I am a very good customer at my local Petco, and normally I...
My local petco store ordered a powder blue tang knowing that...
Salt Water

Return policy on saltwater fish...

By Travlll on Nov. 3, 2016
You need a return policy. My other fish are fine but the fis...
Salt Water

Saltwater tank and fish

By Laurenandrews5 on Sep. 24, 2016
I have a saltwater tank for 5 months now. I have gotten fish...
Salt Water

Imagitarium alkalinity

By jeffr on Jun. 19, 2016
Does anyone know why petco's imagitarium salt water has such...
Salt Water

Can anyone help identify this?

By kittynala on Jan. 12, 2016
Found this in my tank today and I do not know what it is. It...
Read all discussions