Which is more fun/active, a Bearded Dragon or Gargoyle Gecko?

Wanting to get a lizard, but not sure which are more fun to handle or which ones tolerate handling best, or which are relatively more active. I know beardeds are diurnal and geckos nocturnal, but beardeds seem a bit lazy, at least the more they age. Would a gecko be more active during the day? Need some advice!
2 REPLIES
Community Manager

Re: Which is more fun/active, a Bearded Dragon or Gargoyle Gecko?

[ Edited ]

Hi MikkiMouse.

Welcome to the community, thank you for your question I'm excited to hear that you're interested in getting a reptile! Choosing a reptile is truly a personal preference, here are a few questions to consider:

• Do you have any size requirements or restrictions on animal or habitat size?
    • Bearded dragons are more likely to be active during the day and they will become roughly 2 feet in length, requiring a minimum of a 40 gal tank as an adult. They also develop nails that need trimming, if this is an animal that children will be handling, you may need to consider nail scratches as a potential concern for you and your family.
    • Leopard geckos will stay smaller roughly 10 inches and only require a 20 gal tank as an adult, however they are nocturnal and will be less active during hours that you are awake.

Fat tail and crested geckos as well as blue tongue skinks are also very cool species! We would love for you to look at potential reptilian family members at your local Petco store and discuss what works best for you with one of our store partners! You can find the number to call the store nearest you here.

Alex Cat Very Happy

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Which is more fun/active, a Bearded Dragon or Gargoyle Gecko?

I'm sorry I can't help you much on the Gargoyle Gecko, but I do have a bearded dragon. You have to hold him a lot and hand feed them when they are young, but they are extraordinary pets. We are super close, he loves being held. He is active during the day and loves when i switch up the decor in his cage. He climbs a lot to get to a good basking spot and loves to hunt. From experience, a beardie is much more active and lovable than any nocturnal gecko I've seen.
Latest Discussion
View more discussions
Wanting to get a lizard, but not sure which are more fun to...
Reptile General

Is it safe to put lipstick on bearded dragons

By Ramen1966 on Aug. 10, 2017
Hi I want to know if its safe to put lipstick on bearded dra...
Reptile General

Stunning Boa

By Rosimals on Aug. 4, 2017
I was at my local petco today and I saw the most stunning bo...
Reptile General

Vacation in october with my beardie

By Killerkelly on Jul. 24, 2017
We will be going to Colorado in october over the fall break...
Reptile General

2 young Beardies looking for a home

By TheJay44 on Jul. 20, 2017
I've had these beardies for a little while. They just need t...
Reptile General

Purchased Worms At Local Petco, Dead and Missing!

By EllenD on Apr. 23, 2017
Hi, I don't know where exactly to put this or what to do abo...
Hi I am Nami I got a bearded dragon on sunday, and its still...
Reptile General

Next Reptile Rally

By m4keyourself on Mar. 11, 2017
Hello! Can sometime please tell me when the next reptile ral...
Reptile General

Corn Snake Info Please

By Piggy48 on Feb. 21, 2017
Hello, I am thinking about adopting a corn snake, what are s...
Reptile General

Bearded Dragon needs good home

By jdesotle on Feb. 13, 2017
I live in Warwick New York and need to find a home for my so...
Read all discussions