Occasional Contributor

Smelly Bearded Dragon

Spoiler

hey I was just curious if you can use dog shampoo on a bearded dragon to get rid of her poop scent. The thing is, when my bearded dragon poops, the scent gets on her. I tried to clean the tank with Cold Life products, but does not really seem to help, and when I bathe her with WATER ONLY! it does not help either. My mom gets pretty disgusted when she poops, and I fear that my mom will end up giving her away for that reason. Is there any product out there that might help get rid of the scent?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager

Re: Smelly Bearded Dragon

Hi Ramen1966. Thank you for your question; we would not recommend using any commercial shampoo (pet or human) on a bearded dragon.  Reptiles are very unique and we worry that a shampoo could cause drying out of the scales, incomplete or problem shedding, and potentially other issues.  Soaking the bearded dragon in warm water could help get any fecal particles off that may be causing an odor.  It also may not just be the poop, some animals will have a slight odor that can be pheromone-based (are you sure it is a female?).  Keeping on a routine maintenance to make sure the habitat is clean would be the best way to decrease the odor.  It may also just be how your reptile smells! We hope this helps!

2 REPLIES
Community Manager

Hi Ramen1966. Thank you for your question; we would not recommend using any commercial shampoo (pet or human) on a bearded dragon.  Reptiles are very unique and we worry that a shampoo could cause drying out of the scales, incomplete or problem shedding, and potentially other issues.  Soaking the bearded dragon in warm water could help get any fecal particles off that may be causing an odor.  It also may not just be the poop, some animals will have a slight odor that can be pheromone-based (are you sure it is a female?).  Keeping on a routine maintenance to make sure the habitat is clean would be the best way to decrease the odor.  It may also just be how your reptile smells! We hope this helps!

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Hi thank you for your response, yes according to what my mom's friend told me she is a female, but I am questioning it, because she does some stuff that males do. Natsu is my first reptile, and she was rescued. I decided to adopt her because I felt bad that she has a missing piece in her tail. Sorry to say this but, I barely have experience with reptiles because all my life I had fish. 

Latest Discussion
View more discussions
Reptile General

New Reptile Owner

By Sagome on Dec. 12, 2017
Hello. I am a new potential reptile owner. I've got a pretty...
Reptile General

Smelly Bearded Dragon

By Ramen1966 on Nov. 14, 2017
Spoiler (Highlight to read) hey I was just curious if you ca...
Reptile General

Crested Gecko

By Dezzy on Nov. 10, 2017
The two closest petco stores are Poplar Bluff MO and Cape Gu...
Reptile General

Jeweled curly tailed lizard

By Tkdmomyn on Oct. 8, 2017
I got a jeweled curly tailed lizard 🦎 a couple of months ag...
Reptile General

Companion animals

By Skinpick on Oct. 7, 2017
Petco in Fredericksburg VA gave me a hard time about buying...
Reptile General

Kenyan Sand Boa as New Pet

By Xavier Gabriel on Oct. 2, 2017
I am planning to have a Kenyan Sand Boa. Any tips on how to...
Wanting to get a lizard, but not sure which are more fun to...
Reptile General

Is it safe to put lipstick on bearded dragons

By Ramen1966 on Aug. 10, 2017
Hi I want to know if its safe to put lipstick on bearded dra...
Reptile General

Stunning Boa

By Rosimals on Aug. 4, 2017
I was at my local petco today and I saw the most stunning bo...
Reptile General

Vacation in october with my beardie

By Killerkelly on Jul. 24, 2017
We will be going to Colorado in october over the fall break...
Read all discussions