Highlighted
New Contributor

Please advice baby leo not eating

About a month ago I got a baby lepord gecko..she has the proper cage set up (no sand), heat at the right temp, proper hides. She didn't eat for days then I hand fed her three crickets. Now she's back to not eating anything...I've tried mealworms, superworms, roaches, crickets..she drinks water fine, and eats the calci powder. She doesn't seem lethargic and has shed with no problems. It seems that at some point before I got her her tail was broke off because it looks like a regenerated one. The reason why I'm worried is she's really small and her tail is really skinny. I have another Leo that I bought from the same place and that one is doing just fine and has put on substantial weight since I got them. I dont think its parisites or they would both have it, wouldn't they? It doesn't seem like stress because she comes out and wants to be held and engage. What else can I do? I don't want her to starve to death..she doesn't look sick, or behave sick, just really really skinny.

I've been thinking of trying wax worms as a last resort, but that may be the only thing shell eat then? Also thought about a chicken, calci baby food slurry. I've been trying to weight it out to see if eventually shell eat, but at this point the skinny tail is worrying me.
3 REPLIES
Community Manager

Re: Please advice baby leo not eating

[ Edited ]

Hi Leo love

Thank you for your question, I'm sorry to hear that your leopard gecko isn't doing well. I recommend bringing her into a vet immediately for a check-up to make sure there's no serious underlying cause. If you don't have a vet, you can call your local Petco and see if they offer veterinary services or have advice on local resources that do. You can find the number to call the store nearest you here. You may also want to check out this care sheet on leopard geckos

Alex 

I have two of them, and I never had that problem.... I am with my dads Chinese water dragon. Take it to a exotic pets vet and make sure it doesn't have any internal problems

I just got a baby albino leopard gecko about 3 weeks ago and he doesn't seem to eat much either. Everything seems fine otherwise. Unfortunately we don't have a lot for pet stores or exotic vets in my area, but I found dried flies thinking the meal worms were just too big for it. Maybe he just eats only at night while we are sleeping since they are nocturnal but it would only have to be about 1 every other day and maybe that is enough since he is so small. Did you find anything for this that it started eating?

Latest Discussion
View more discussions
Reptile General

Jeweled curly tailed lizard

By Tkdmomyn on Oct. 8, 2017
I got a jeweled curly tailed lizard 🦎 a couple of months ag...
Reptile General

Companion animals

By Skinpick on Oct. 7, 2017
Petco in Fredericksburg VA gave me a hard time about buying...
Reptile General

Kenyan Sand Boa as New Pet

By Xavier Gabriel on Oct. 2, 2017
I am planning to have a Kenyan Sand Boa. Any tips on how to...
Wanting to get a lizard, but not sure which are more fun to...
Reptile General

Is it safe to put lipstick on bearded dragons

By Ramen1966 on Aug. 10, 2017
Hi I want to know if its safe to put lipstick on bearded dra...
Reptile General

Stunning Boa

By Rosimals on Aug. 4, 2017
I was at my local petco today and I saw the most stunning bo...
Reptile General

Vacation in october with my beardie

By Killerkelly on Jul. 24, 2017
We will be going to Colorado in october over the fall break...
Reptile General

2 young Beardies looking for a home

By TheJay44 on Jul. 20, 2017
I've had these beardies for a little while. They just need t...
Reptile General

Purchased Worms At Local Petco, Dead and Missing!

By EllenD on Apr. 23, 2017
Hi, I don't know where exactly to put this or what to do abo...
Hi I am Nami I got a bearded dragon on sunday, and its still...
Read all discussions