Petco forcing employee to dye hair a "normal " color

I recently visited the Petco store at525 Cabella Dr, Triadelphia, WV, 26059, the store was clean, , mensroom toliet seat broken,  as i waited online,  the ladies in front of me were complimenting the young sales associate, Taylor, on the cut and color of her hair, it was a trendy aqua blue colored, modern cut,  looked very nice on her, she was pleasant friendly and an asset to Petco,  when it was my turn to check out i asked if i heard her right, the management was forcing her to dye her hair a normal color, ?  she said it was right, even though she was hired with green  hair, all of a sudden management decided sh needs to dye it a normal color, i told her it looked good on her, and id seek legal counsel before i changed it,  her appearance was in no way detrimental to the store so how can they insist she change it anyone else feel this was wrong? im posting this here, because on site, and on receipt there is no address to contact the company

5 REPLIES
Community Manager

Re: Petco forcing employee to dye hair a "normal " color

Hi SteveS. Thank you for your question, can you please send the store location including state to ptpsupport@petco.com along with these details so we can look into this further?

Contributor

I thought the days of judging people on the basis of their looks--or anything else that is not a bona fide requirement of a particular job/position--and demanding a change in appearance to reflect more traditional ways were all but over and employers were well-informed of anti-discrimination laws and know better!

I don't think there is anything "wrong" with blue (or any other color) hair and usually think those donning such a style look rather nice. IF I were younger, I think I'd like to have blue hair!

"JEERS" for this store's inappropriate request!

I LOVE BLUE!
Contributor

What did you find out about this?  It seems to me that there must not be a company policy about hair color or she would not have been hired.  Some local-yocal manager should not get to impose his fashion sense on his employees.  What's up with this Petco?

where I work--neon colored hair is not allowed, nor is acrylic nails, facial piercing jewerly & tats/ink must be covered at all times--just saying

Highlighted
New Contributor

Where I work we're not allowed to have colored hair other than natural hair color. They told me and the other people who were being interviewed during the interview that we aren't allowed to have colored hair that that it's company policy.
Latest Discussion
View more discussions
Off Topic Discussions

Re: Please help my dog Spunk beat cancer.

By Piggy48 on Mar. 15, 2017
Sorry that I can't donate, but I wish Spunk the best!
Off Topic Discussions

I hate the crickets!!! Omg stop chirping!!!

By Yourcricketssux on Jul. 8, 2016
HOW LOUD CAN A **bleep** CRICKET BE?!?!? These things are th...
Off Topic Discussions

GO AHEAD -- LAUGH AT ME

By ZacZ4MicheleZ on May. 21, 2016
I was hoping the "subject" (title) would get your...
Off Topic Discussions

Petco forcing employee to dye hair a "normal " col...

By SteveS on Apr. 12, 2016
I recently visited the Petco store at525 Cabella Dr, Triadel...
I've been up all night, feel like a cold or something is bre...
Off Topic Discussions

How do you choose your pet names?

By ThisMamaLoves on Jan. 8, 2016
The answers in the popular pet names post got me thinking ab...
Off Topic Discussions

Chat!

By mousegirl101 on Sep. 27, 2015
Quick reply for a chat about pets or any other topic! Bye, M...
Another dog DEAD in the hands of a PetCo groomer? The last o...
Off Topic Discussions

Paying emergency vet bills

By AK on Apr. 7, 2015
Hi, My dog Hunter who was going to be 17 in June recently go...
Off Topic Discussions

Walk For A Dog app on your phone???

By AbrahamD on Jan. 15, 2015
Hi all, I was just curious if anyone has any info to share a...
Read all discussions