Mel
New Contributor

WATCH OUT - Dog Papilloma Virus - HIGHLY CONTAGIOUS

All loving dog owners take pride in their dog's heath and happiness. (I know I do.) When my pup began limping the other evening on our normal walk after work, my heart sunk! I was extremely confused to find what looked like a small blister on the bottom of her paw. Growing up with dogs my whole life, I had never seen anything like it before, and, although I assumed she had stepped on something during a recent walk around the neighborhood, I still made an appointment to visit our local vet.

Well, I'm glad I did:

My veternarian advised that it was a HIGHLY CONTAGIOUS dog virus called Dog Papilloma. 

Within 48 hours of my noticing her pain, the blister / wart on her paw had grown so large from infection that we might need to amputate a toe. *We will find out in 6 days whether or not Honey will need surgery on her foot.* I've done a ton of online research on the dog virius since the diagnosis, and I am optimistic. The silver lining here is that we found it early on, but now I'm concerned as to which dog in the neighborhood she contracted it from !

I had never heard of the dog papilloma virus until a few days ago. *Don't feel ashamed if you haven't heard of it before either!

PLEASE MAKE YOURSELF AWARE OF THIS HIGHLY CONTAGIOUS DOG VIRUS ! LET EVERYONE KNOW - TELL EVERYONE AND ANYONE WITH A DOG WHO WILL LISTEN:

DO NOT LET YOUR PUPPY KISS (LICK) STRANGE DOGS, ESPECIALLY IF YOU SEE ANYTHING ABNORMAL ON THE OTHER DOG'S FACE, JOWLS, GUMS, LIPS, TONGUE, EYES, PAWS, OR PRIVATE AREA.

Dog papilloma is a nasty ninj-like virus that sneaks up on the animal during an outbreak / weak immune system, takes a long time to go away, and is turning out to be very expensive in my case (between the antibiotics, vet visits, and a potential foot surgery). And poor Honey can't even have fun playing with other dogs because the papilloma dog virus is so contagious! *Luckily, we hadn't been to doggy-daycare in months, so we are hoping that they will not experience an outbreak. You better believe it was the first phone call I made while walking out of the vet's office!

7 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Community Representative

Re: WATCH OUT - Dog Papilloma Virus - HIGHLY CONTAGIOUS

Thanks for sharing this with us, Mel. I hope Honey will soon be okay.
Petco Ambassador

Oh, wow, I hadn't heard of this before. Thanks so much for sharing. I hope Honey has a speedy recovery.
Angela
About a Mom
New Contributor

I am praying form Honey! I love animal lovers that actively,(as you are doing here and other places as well), share this information to all...so we are all educated, know that something that seems minor can turn out to be major such as your poor honey is going through. Thank you so much for sharing as I will share your information with all I know!
Mel
New Contributor

Thank you, everyone!

I found it quite scary that my dog daycare had never heard of the virus before. I even had to start a GoFundMe account for Honey because of how expensive it is all turning out to be. It's just very poor timing for us because I need major dental work and Honey still might need that surgery (as her limp is still present).

PLEASE keep us in your prayers!
-Melissa

www.gofundme.com/survivewithasmile

New Contributor

Thank you so much for this life saving, etc serious information.
Occasional Visitor

Good information. My dog developed a small round growth on her lip. That's what I thought it was. I was in a tail spin as there are 3 other animals in the house. It turned out to be benign. How is Honey doing now?
Mel
New Contributor

Honey is much better now. Thankfully, the growth went away without us needing surgery. I'm amazed at how quickly she bounced back after over a month of misery!
7 REPLIES
Community Representative

Thanks for sharing this with us, Mel. I hope Honey will soon be okay.
Petco Ambassador

Oh, wow, I hadn't heard of this before. Thanks so much for sharing. I hope Honey has a speedy recovery.
Angela
About a Mom
New Contributor

I am praying form Honey! I love animal lovers that actively,(as you are doing here and other places as well), share this information to all...so we are all educated, know that something that seems minor can turn out to be major such as your poor honey is going through. Thank you so much for sharing as I will share your information with all I know!
Mel
New Contributor

Thank you, everyone!

I found it quite scary that my dog daycare had never heard of the virus before. I even had to start a GoFundMe account for Honey because of how expensive it is all turning out to be. It's just very poor timing for us because I need major dental work and Honey still might need that surgery (as her limp is still present).

PLEASE keep us in your prayers!
-Melissa

www.gofundme.com/survivewithasmile

New Contributor

Thank you so much for this life saving, etc serious information.
Occasional Visitor

Good information. My dog developed a small round growth on her lip. That's what I thought it was. I was in a tail spin as there are 3 other animals in the house. It turned out to be benign. How is Honey doing now?
Mel
New Contributor

Honey is much better now. Thankfully, the growth went away without us needing surgery. I'm amazed at how quickly she bounced back after over a month of misery!
Latest Discussion
View more discussions
Health & Nutrition

Sick baby

By Snuffthroostr on Sep. 21, 2017
All of my dogs lymph nodes were swollen. Took him to the vet...
Health & Nutrition

Right Side Heart Disease

By Didi on Sep. 17, 2017
Hello. I have an approximately 12 year old dog that I have h...
Health & Nutrition

Life's Abundance Buffalo Meat Strips

By connielimon on Aug. 1, 2017
Life's Abundance Buffalo Meat Strips Here is a chew treat yo...
Health & Nutrition

Life's Abundance Grain Free Dog Food

By connielimon on Aug. 1, 2017
Life's Abundance Grain Free All Life Stage Dog Food If you a...
Health & Nutrition

Best food for a dog with type 1 diabetes?

By Cupcakebreath on Jun. 7, 2017
Hello all! My Jack/Beagle mix was diagnosed with Type 1 diab...
Health & Nutrition

Kidney diet

By Sailing dogs on Apr. 13, 2017
Our vet recommended a low protein, low phosphorus diet for o...
Health & Nutrition

Best food for dalmations

By Dalamtion on Feb. 6, 2017
We gave our dalmation hills science diet ideal balance food...
Health & Nutrition

Picky eater

By Havanese on Jan. 27, 2017
I have a 13 week old Havanese he is a very picky eater he wi...
Health & Nutrition

making your own treats

By rocco on Jan. 9, 2017
I thought garlic wasn't good for dogs. I read a recipe for m...
Health & Nutrition

50% coupon- Spot Farms?

By marker on Nov. 25, 2016
Hi- my dog's food has been discontinued and he has terrible...
Read all discussions