Highlighted
New Contributor

Red Spots Appeared on my Goldfish

Ever since we got a pleco fish, red spots started to appear on all the goldfishes. It got worse as the days went by and they started to even get lethargic. Then I saw the pleco fish swim up to one of the resting goldfish and start sucking on it till the goldfish swam away. We quickly put the pleco fish into another tank, and we also changed the water. Red spots have never appeared and we had a pleco fish with the other goldfish before. The goldfish are doing fine now, swimming around after we changed the water. But I just want to know what's going on. 

5 REPLIES
Community Representative

Re: Red Spots Appeared on my Goldfish

Hi IrishJane and welcome to our community. We'll touch base with our animal expert for more information.
Occasional Contributor

Red spots (broken blood vessels) mean high ammonia or nitrites in your water. Great move on putting the pleco into another tank, lessens the bio-load within the tank. (Lower bio-load = lower ammonia/nitrite/nitrate production)

Just keep your water changes consistent as goldfish produce a lot of waste.
Community Manager

Hi IrishJane. Our experts have a few more questions: 

What do the red spots look like?

Are they small and have they changed over time? If so, what do they look like now?

How large is your tank and how many fish (and species) do you have? Could they be fighting wounds?

What are you feeding the pleco?

Generally pleco fish are not considered aggressive, however if they are not fed the appropriate food, they may bite or suck on slow moving fish. If this is what you are seeing, keeping these two species in different tanks should resolve this issue. We generally do not recommend a pleco which thrive in tropical water be housed with gold fish who thrive in cold water.

We hope this helps!  And please keep us posted!

New Contributor

The red spots started as small, that they weren't really noticeable and a bit on the stomach and sides, but I thought ti just came from laying down a lot. After a day or two the spots started to get bigger and now it's all over their bodies and fins too that it looked like they were fighting. 

The fish tank is 55 gallons with currently 6 fish inside, the pleco already in another tank. I don't think it could be fighting wounds since the fish have never done that before. I feed the pleco an algae wafers.

Community Representative

Thank you so much for those answers, is there any streaking surrounding the spots on the fish? Can you send photos of the tank and a clear close up or two of the fish with red spots? 

Our recommendation is 1" of gold fish per 5 gallons of water so depending on how large your gold fish are, you may be dealing with crowding or potential water quality concerns. Have you checked water parameters recently? If so what were they and on what date? 

- If you do not test at home, your local Petco aquatic department would be happy to perform this testing for you. You will just need to bring in a small sample of water. 

We always recommend a varied diet for your aquatic life, so you may want to consider adding other options to the current algae wafer diet. 

Latest Discussion
View more discussions
Health & Nutrition

Red Spots Appeared on my Goldfish

By IrishJane on Sep. 25, 2017
Ever since we got a pleco fish, red spots started to appear...
Health & Nutrition

Best food for Mollies

By SLFMolly on Sep. 2, 2017
This week 2 of my Molly fish developed popeye. The water tes...
Health & Nutrition

Beta fish wont eat

By hollybetafish on Aug. 9, 2017
My male beta fish hasn't eaten in about 10 days. He sits at...
Health & Nutrition

Australian Rainbow Fish with pink bumps

By Five2crew on Jul. 29, 2017
I have 10 or so Rainbow Fish in my tank and 2 of the have de...
Health & Nutrition

'Vanilla' Lobster

By Autumnx1 on Jun. 8, 2017
I went to my local Petco yesterday to buy a gift for my husb...
Health & Nutrition

Darting beta

By danielle940 on Apr. 21, 2017
i purchased a beta 3 weeks ago and she was doing fine but no...
Health & Nutrition

I think my molly is sick help please

By Cindyhdz1213 on Mar. 7, 2017
One of my mollies just had frys and so i was paying alot of...
Health & Nutrition

Last 3 Betta fish were diseased

By Teelow on Feb. 8, 2017
First off, I love Petco as they do lots for the pet communit...
Health & Nutrition

Fish Food

By Piggy48 on Jan. 8, 2017
So my fish has suffered from swim bladder diesease and I hav...
Health & Nutrition

What is this?

By Paradox Owl on Nov. 23, 2016
This all of the sudden appeared on my Oranda, Potato. No oth...
Read all discussions