Giardia

I have a eight month old rescue puppy that has been battling giardia since adoption (2 months) She has been on a high quality dog food (natural balance ) , the vet has treate her with 3 types of meds and she still has it. Her vets tells us to pick up her stools asap , wipe her butt (so she doesn't re infect herself). sometimes her stools are so mushy its hard to clean up so I sanitize the spot with bleach diluted with water.  Is there anything that i could also be doing ?  its so discouraging that it is taking so long to clear up.

3 REPLIES
Community Representative

Re: Giardia

Hi, Mari. Welcome to the community and thank you for your question. It sounds like you've already taken the proper precautions by taking her to the vet. If you are sill concerned for her health we advise doing a follow-up with the vet, to be on the safe side. You may also want to inquire on the Giardia vaccine to prevent this from recurring in the future. For more information on Giardia, you can visit or knowledge base here in the community: https://community.petco.com/t5/Blog/Dog-and-Cat-Parasites/ba-p/48300.

I'm having the same problem with my rescue pups. I have two so they keep reinfecting themselves.

My vet had some extra tips. You can add a probiotic to boost their digestive system. Also, you can try sprinkling fiber on her food so that it is easier to clean up. Plus a bulkier stool is less likely to stay on her, so it is less likely she'll "clean" it off herself. 

My vet did some research and came up with a medicine that isn't normally used. (It had to be ordered.) I don't have the name of it with me, but I'll post it when I get home. 

My pups are around my parents older dog constantly, and the older dog hasn't been infected. This makes the vet hopeful that the pups will outgrow the giardia when their imune systems mature.

Hope this helps. I'll get the name of that med to you later today or tomorrow.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Is this still a problem?? One of my neighbors lost both her dogs to giardia because it turned out they were repeatedly (secretly) drinking water from the bird bath which contained contaminated water.  When she discovered this it turned out to be too late. I'm not sure if Petco sells those pet fountains that keep water circulating and filtered, but it may be worth it to look into one. Good luck! =) 

Latest Discussion
View more discussions
Health & Nutrition

Best Dry Dog Food of 2017

By steve1986 on Sep. 28, 2017
Best Dry Dog Food of 2017: Selection of best dry dog food ma...
Health & Nutrition

Help

By Momof2furbabies on Sep. 25, 2017
my pom has been at my boyfriends parents for about a month n...
Health & Nutrition

Sick baby

By Snuffthroostr on Sep. 21, 2017
All of my dogs lymph nodes were swollen. Took him to the vet...
Health & Nutrition

Right Side Heart Disease

By Didi on Sep. 17, 2017
Hello. I have an approximately 12 year old dog that I have h...
Health & Nutrition

Life's Abundance Buffalo Meat Strips

By connielimon on Aug. 1, 2017
Life's Abundance Buffalo Meat Strips Here is a chew treat yo...
Health & Nutrition

Life's Abundance Grain Free Dog Food

By connielimon on Aug. 1, 2017
Life's Abundance Grain Free All Life Stage Dog Food If you a...
Health & Nutrition

Best food for a dog with type 1 diabetes?

By Cupcakebreath on Jun. 7, 2017
Hello all! My Jack/Beagle mix was diagnosed with Type 1 diab...
Health & Nutrition

Kidney diet

By Sailing dogs on Apr. 13, 2017
Our vet recommended a low protein, low phosphorus diet for o...
Health & Nutrition

Best food for dalmations

By Dalamtion on Feb. 6, 2017
We gave our dalmation hills science diet ideal balance food...
Health & Nutrition

Picky eater

By Havanese on Jan. 27, 2017
I have a 13 week old Havanese he is a very picky eater he wi...
Read all discussions