New Contributor

First couple of days for a Parakeet: Food and water?

[ Edited ]

I have got my bird just yesterday, and I haven't got the chance to spend my time with her today, because I was off at work, but during the hours I have been with her, I don't see her eating or drinking. She never ate spray millet, and I have her a water bath attached, but she doesn't go there to bath or drink, so I placed a water cup in the bottom of the habitat. I wonder if that is normal, because I saw her trying to search for something in the crumbled paper litter through the metal thing on the bottom of the habitat.

4 REPLIES
Community Representative

Re: First couple of days for a Parakeet: Food and water?

Welcome to our community Moss! We'll check this with our animal expert and get back with you later. 

Community Representative

Hi, Moss. Our animal expert got back to us and said that birds have a very high metabolism so they should not go very long without eating. They suggested you look at the food to see if there are empty seed shells, perhaps the bird is eating and drinking when you're not around. Also, make sure you find a quiet space in the house so they can adjust. But if there continues to be no evidence the bird is eating or drinking we would recommend you contact your vet. We hope everything works out. Please share any updates. Thank you. 

- Tiffany W.

Highlighted
New Contributor

Thank you Marienze and Tiffany. It is the third day, and I have been spending time with the bird yesterday and singing to her. And today I got to feed her millet by wetting my finger and placing the millet seeds on it then slowly and steadly letting her eat from it. Then I can rub her chest slowly and she doesn't fly away or move. I suppose she is eating and drinkning when I am not arround. But I will keep observing her and update you when I get sure.
Thanks.

Community Manager

Hi Moss. Thanks for sharing an update, it sounds like you two have made great progress so far! I'm happy to hear that you've noticed her eating and drinking regularly. Here are two articles from the community's tribal knowledge base that I thought might be helpful: Bird Nutrition and How to to gain your parakeet's trust and a list of articles from petco.com about getting a new pet bird. I'd love to see a photo of your new feathered friend!

Alex Cat Very Happy

Latest Discussion
View more discussions
Health & Nutrition

Parakeets Dead

By Beto on Nov. 23, 2017
I purchased a parakeet on Saturday. Everything was fine unti...
Health & Nutrition

My Petco Conure died unexpectedly

By Branchingsix on Mar. 27, 2017
I purchased a green-cheek conure from Petco six months ago....
Health & Nutrition

Healthy Select parakeet blend food

By Showboat on Mar. 13, 2017
Will Petco ever carry the Helthy Select parakeet blend in st...
Health & Nutrition

My parakeet just died

By maustin00 on Sep. 24, 2016
i bought a budgie parakeet on monday, september 19th, about...
Health & Nutrition

First couple of days for a Parakeet: Food and water?

By Moss on Jul. 16, 2016
I have got my bird just yesterday, and I haven't got the cha...
Health & Nutrition

How long do parakeets live for?

By Sandy on Feb. 11, 2016
I was wondering if you can tell how long does a parakeet liv...
Health & Nutrition

Lice on Parakeets...

By Preacher on Dec. 27, 2015
I have two parakeets, is it posable for them to have lice, i...
Health & Nutrition

Budgie Leg/Foot Injury

By missdrea on May. 24, 2015
Hi, My budgie seems to have injured her leg that has the ban...
Health & Nutrition

Zupreem Canary pelleted food?

By barjwfarm on Dec. 26, 2014
I feed Zupreem pelleted canary food and it is not offered on...
Read all discussions