Contributor

Bugs in Russian tortoise's water bowl

Hi. I have a russian tortoise. He is about 4 years old. I recently got him new bedding and I found what apeared to be mites all over his water bowl. It was empty only overnight and I saw them in there this morning when cleaning it. They were quite small some bearly visible specks just moving around others larger yet still very small. I have never had any troubles with mites or ticks in my 6 years of owning reptiles and I am very scared. I have boiled the bowl in water along with other decor in his cage and have taken out all the old bedding. Is there anything else I should do? My tort appears healthy with a steady appetite. Should I still take him to the vet. Please help ASAP!!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager

Re: Bugs in Russian tortoise's water bowl

Hi kennedygoc. Thank you for your question; we recommend taking him to the vet, along with any of the  mite specimens you might still have, so they can recommend  appropriate disinfection of the tortoise 's enclosure. We also recommend thoroughly washing all of the fresh greens and veggies offered. We wish you the best, and please keep us posted! 

Contributor

Hi,

I don't have a tortoise, but I do have rabbits, and about a year ago, they had mites. We tried home recipes to heal it, and they didn't work, but once we took them to vet they healed. I suggest you take him to a vet. Also, I don't know what bedding your using, but wood shaving often carry mites.
Hope your tortoise gets well soon!
5 REPLIES
Community Manager

Hi kennedygoc. Thank you for your question; we recommend taking him to the vet, along with any of the  mite specimens you might still have, so they can recommend  appropriate disinfection of the tortoise 's enclosure. We also recommend thoroughly washing all of the fresh greens and veggies offered. We wish you the best, and please keep us posted! 

Highlighted
Contributor

Thanks! I plan on taking him to the vet sometime this week. I cleaned everything  thoroughly  so sadly I don't have any of the bugs. 

Contributor

Hi,

I don't have a tortoise, but I do have rabbits, and about a year ago, they had mites. We tried home recipes to heal it, and they didn't work, but once we took them to vet they healed. I suggest you take him to a vet. Also, I don't know what bedding your using, but wood shaving often carry mites.
Hope your tortoise gets well soon!
Contributor

Thanks! I took him to the vet today. Luckily he does not have the mites on him and she says he is completely ok!

Contributor

Good! 

Latest Discussion
View more discussions
Health & Nutrition

Bugs in Russian tortoise's water bowl

By kennedygoc on Sep. 9, 2017
Hi. I have a russian tortoise. He is about 4 years old. I re...
Health & Nutrition

Stick tail?

By Jennasea on May. 27, 2017
Hi I recently got a baby Leo gecko 4 days ago and I am worri...
Health & Nutrition

new baby bearded dragon

By Krissy111 on Apr. 17, 2017
For 3 days my 3 month old beardie has been keeping one eye c...
Health & Nutrition

Rescued RES turtle won't eat

By Lunachick1974 on Feb. 24, 2017
I rescued a RES about 5 months ago. He was in pretty rough s...
Health & Nutrition

chameleon

By pascal on Nov. 28, 2016
woke up this morning to our chameleon hanging upside down an...
Hi, I got a bearded dragon, Cornelius, about 5 months ago an...
Health & Nutrition

Juvie gecko won't eat

By cookie3 on Oct. 27, 2016
I got two leopard geckos one month ago and they both had goo...
Health & Nutrition

Bearded dragon vegetables

By Jeezy123 on Oct. 4, 2016
Does anyone know if bearded dragons can eat all types of squ...
Health & Nutrition

Fuzzies

By Christa3433 on Sep. 26, 2016
Where can I purchase live fuzzies in hickory nc
Health & Nutrition

Why is my hermit crab burrowing?

By hollyrustyriley on Feb. 26, 2016
One of my hermit crabs keeps on burrowing in the substrate....
Read all discussions