Highlighted

I have a blue Gourami that is listless with a bloated belly in water that has a pH of 8.

What do I do?
2 REPLIES
Esteemed Contributor

Re: I have a blue Gourami that is listless with a bloated belly in water that has a pH of 8.

I suspect internal infection or internal parasites  which are difficult to treat. Medicated food may help if this is an infection. If it's parasites  Aquarium Pharmaceuticals, Seachem and Tetra all make medications to treat either cause.If you do medicate,isolate this fish in its own tank and treat as directed.  for the exact volume of water in the isolation tank. In my experience, you may have a shot at curing this fish if it is still eating.  Once they stop eating, it's unlikely you will effect a cure.

I'm not saying your pH is causing the issue with the gourami, however a pH of 8 is high for all but the most alkaline-loving fish (African Rift Lake Cichlids, Mollies, Monos, Scats,  and Marine fish). Most Gouramis prefer soft acidic water or at least water closer to neutral with 7.4 being about the highest.  If you can't  provide water with a more moderate pH, I would focus on fish that enjoy the water you have.  

“The oceans are the planet's last great living wilderness, man's only remaining frontier on Earth, and perhaps his last chance to prove himself a rational species.”
― John L. Culliney
Community Representative

Re: I have a blue Gourami that is listless with a bloated belly in water that has a pH of 8.

Hi, Fishsticks. We're sorry to hear your Gourami isn't doing so well. We would advise seeking out the help of a local vet.  You can visit the association of reptile and amphibian vets and use the 'find a vet' function www.arav.org, if you aren't sure how to locate a reptile vet in your area. We wish you and your Gourami all the best! 

-Tiffany W.

Latest Discussion
View more discussions
Fish General

Breeding Mollies

By AnitaSammich on Sep. 22, 2017
I had 20 mollies in a 50 gallon tank. Both male and female....
Fish General

betta help

By wally_betta on Sep. 18, 2017
About a month ago I bought a betta fish (Wally) and two snai...
Fish General

Full grown angel fish

By JennieTaylor on Sep. 17, 2017
How big of an aquarium should I have for a full grown angel...
Fish General

Where to adopt a pet

By tammysummers on Sep. 11, 2017
It looks like users can now buy gift cards to Petco with Bit...
Fish General

Betta help

By Rachel on Sep. 6, 2017
I keep trying with bettas and they all keep dying. What am I...
Fish General

Goldfish

By RileyAriana on Aug. 21, 2017
I went to petco on 8/15 and bought $115 worth of fish suppli...
Fish General

When's The Next 1$ Per Gallon Deal?

By SteveSTL on Aug. 6, 2017
WHen the current sale ends on the 19th when will the next on...
Fish General

Corydoras Catfish, Bare bottom substrate

By Ianj on Jul. 25, 2017
Has anyone considered or have experience keeping them in a t...
Fish General

New Fish

By Kmm on Jul. 5, 2017
I decided to set up my 3 gallon tank and let it cycle, now I...
Read all discussions