Highlighted

Ghost/Glass Catfish

Can anybody tell me what size that these catfish grow to? It says on here that the species sold is kryptopterus bicirrhis and that they grow to a maximum of four inches, but it says on other sites that this species grows to a max of six inches. I know that they live best in schools of six or more and I'm considering getting them in and putting them in a 30-gallong-tank, but depending on the size that they will grow to, I'm not sure if this is enough room. If they each grow to six inches, I'm not sure if they'll have enough room if I get six of them.

2 REPLIES
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Ghost/Glass Catfish

There are more than one species. The one usually cited (K. bicirrhus) grows to nearly six inches but is probably not the fish usually seen at fish stores.  The smaller Kryptopterus vitreolus grows about half the size and is thought to be the "Phantom Glass Catfish" we've been seeing all along. 

I don't know if many sources would be able to GUARANTEE that your fish are really the smaller species.  It's sort of a risk, but not a major one, IMO.

I'm glad you are reading up on the natural history and requirements of this mysterious little fish.  Too often, people add one of these to a community tank where it hides and starves and dies in pretty short order. I have never personally kept them, but from what I have read, the only way to succeed is to set up a species tank and make them the focal point, as you are doing. 

From what I have read, they appreciate the security provided by plants (either live or artificial). They also benefit from small live foods or small frozen foods included in their diet.  Tank mates, if any, should be completely non-aggressive and small.  A small school of micro Rasboras might possibly be paired with them. 

These are one of those "oddball" fish that aren't given that much attention, so I really appreciate that you are into them to the extent that you want to give them their own tank. Please let us know how it goes.  A couple resources you might consider are Wetspot Tropical fish in Portland, Oregon.  If anyone will be able to provide you with the exact species you're looking for, they will.  Also check out WetWebMedia for detailed information about housing and caring for these fish.

Good Luck!

Randy

“The oceans are the planet's last great living wilderness, man's only remaining frontier on Earth, and perhaps his last chance to prove himself a rational species.”
― John L. Culliney
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Ghost/Glass Catfish

[ Edited ]

FWIW, I just checked the price list at WetSpot Tropicals and they have Kryptopterus vitreolus available. This means they know the difference between this and the larger species.  I'm not trying to rush you. This source will have the fish you need when your tank is ready for them.  They're delicate little fish, so please take the time to thoroughly cycle your tank.  With schooling fish, it's best to introduce all at once, so having a mature system is important. 

Randy

“The oceans are the planet's last great living wilderness, man's only remaining frontier on Earth, and perhaps his last chance to prove himself a rational species.”
― John L. Culliney
Latest Discussion
View more discussions
Fish General

$1 Per Gallon Sale

By CheyenneBarnett on Jun. 22, 2017
I heard that 40 gallon breeders were not included in this sa...
Fish General

Dollar per Gallon South Carolina

By wigglerhino on Jun. 13, 2017
When will the Dollar per Gallon sale be in South Carolina?
Fish General

Ghost/Glass Catfish

By Potentate on May. 15, 2017
Can anybody tell me what size that these catfish grow to? It...
Fish General

how many fish can i get at a time

By lordmk3000 on May. 10, 2017
i have a empty 50 gallongtank and i want to fill it with gol...
Fish General

New fish keeps dying

By Saiyalee on May. 9, 2017
I own a 10 gallon tank with 10 quiet flow filter. I recently...
I went to petco today and the guy at the aquatics department...
Fish General

Guppies

By alyssamaz on Apr. 29, 2017
I recently purchased 4 guppies, like two days ago recent and...
Fish General

baby betta feeding

By JazzyJ21 on Apr. 21, 2017
I am trying to determine how much food and how often to feed...
Fish General

Baby Betta

By Lb321 on Apr. 5, 2017
I bought a baby Betta today and my boyfriend got an Adult Be...
Fish General

Is this normal? Glofish

By Michelle25light on Mar. 31, 2017
I have had my glofish for three days now. I have three same...
Read all discussions