Highlighted
Occasional Visitor

Ghost/Glass Catfish

Can anybody tell me what size that these catfish grow to? It says on here that the species sold is kryptopterus bicirrhis and that they grow to a maximum of four inches, but it says on other sites that this species grows to a max of six inches. I know that they live best in schools of six or more and I'm considering getting them in and putting them in a 30-gallong-tank, but depending on the size that they will grow to, I'm not sure if this is enough room. If they each grow to six inches, I'm not sure if they'll have enough room if I get six of them.

2 REPLIES
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Ghost/Glass Catfish

There are more than one species. The one usually cited (K. bicirrhus) grows to nearly six inches but is probably not the fish usually seen at fish stores.  The smaller Kryptopterus vitreolus grows about half the size and is thought to be the "Phantom Glass Catfish" we've been seeing all along. 

I don't know if many sources would be able to GUARANTEE that your fish are really the smaller species.  It's sort of a risk, but not a major one, IMO.

I'm glad you are reading up on the natural history and requirements of this mysterious little fish.  Too often, people add one of these to a community tank where it hides and starves and dies in pretty short order. I have never personally kept them, but from what I have read, the only way to succeed is to set up a species tank and make them the focal point, as you are doing. 

From what I have read, they appreciate the security provided by plants (either live or artificial). They also benefit from small live foods or small frozen foods included in their diet.  Tank mates, if any, should be completely non-aggressive and small.  A small school of micro Rasboras might possibly be paired with them. 

These are one of those "oddball" fish that aren't given that much attention, so I really appreciate that you are into them to the extent that you want to give them their own tank. Please let us know how it goes.  A couple resources you might consider are Wetspot Tropical fish in Portland, Oregon.  If anyone will be able to provide you with the exact species you're looking for, they will.  Also check out WetWebMedia for detailed information about housing and caring for these fish.

Good Luck!

Randy

“The oceans are the planet's last great living wilderness, man's only remaining frontier on Earth, and perhaps his last chance to prove himself a rational species.”
― John L. Culliney
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Ghost/Glass Catfish

[ Edited ]

FWIW, I just checked the price list at WetSpot Tropicals and they have Kryptopterus vitreolus available. This means they know the difference between this and the larger species.  I'm not trying to rush you. This source will have the fish you need when your tank is ready for them.  They're delicate little fish, so please take the time to thoroughly cycle your tank.  With schooling fish, it's best to introduce all at once, so having a mature system is important. 

Randy

“The oceans are the planet's last great living wilderness, man's only remaining frontier on Earth, and perhaps his last chance to prove himself a rational species.”
― John L. Culliney
Latest Discussion
View more discussions
Fish General

my Fiddler crab died😢

By Guinea_Pig_06 on Dec. 3, 2017
So my fiddle crab died a couple days ago... the one that los...
Fish General

Digestion

By nursepower on Dec. 1, 2017
On bad advice from Petsmart, I put 5 baby guppies in with my...
Fish General

What can heat up my fish tank?

By Mayflo on Nov. 27, 2017
I recently bought a cheap 1 gallon tank to place my guppy fr...
Fish General

Baby Betta Winter Care

By Rochellergm on Nov. 19, 2017
Hello! I just purchased a baby betta which I have had before...
Fish General

Cichlids

By Reese on Nov. 17, 2017
Does anyone know what I can do with a bunch of baby cichlids...
Fish General

I NEED fiddler crab help!!!!!!

By Guinea_Pig_06 on Nov. 3, 2017
Hi! I have two male fiddler crabs Sebastian and Crab Cake. T...
Fish General

Koi

By Hoolio on Oct. 29, 2017
So I just bought a house with a pond I’m getting rid of but...
Fish General

parakeet

By Kevin2525 on Oct. 9, 2017
I have a major problem. I don’t know if my parakeet is a mal...
Fish General

Breeding Mollies

By AnitaSammich on Sep. 22, 2017
I had 20 mollies in a 50 gallon tank. Both male and female....
Fish General

betta help

By wally_betta on Sep. 18, 2017
About a month ago I bought a betta fish (Wally) and two snai...
Read all discussions