Occasional Contributor

Corydoras Catfish, Bare bottom substrate

Has anyone considered or have experience keeping them in a tank with no substrate whatsoever. Do you they have any negative effects?

3 REPLIES
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Corydoras Catfish, Bare bottom substrate

How would you do in an empty room? I go nuts in about a day without at least a book.

They are regarded as easy care, but how many people do you know that have had a good school of them for any length of time? I suggest studying up on their natural requirements and trying to approximate that rather than keeping them in a clinical sterile setting.

Holding tanks or breeding or fry-raising tanks are one thing, For the long term, smooth sand is best. Coarse gravel is not easy for they to feed in, and rough substrate can damage their barbels. Bigger groups are better than smaller groups. All one species is better than a random mix. They like to poke through sediment (think flooded forest floor) so dry oak or beech foliage in their tank is much appreciated. Even some boiled peat fiber squeezed out.

They often die (I suspect) from intragroup aggression (more individuals will prevent this from happening) and from lack of a good varied diet or simply not enough food because more aggressive top feeders eat everything first. Feed flake food you have soaked and target feed, squirting it down where they are with a food bulb, they should also have bloodworms, black worms, or clean tubifex, small Mysis shrimp, sinking shrimp pellets, spirulina wafers and occasional brine shrimp.

Good luck!

“The oceans are the planet's last great living wilderness, man's only remaining frontier on Earth, and perhaps his last chance to prove himself a rational species.”
― John L. Culliney
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for your input. I am simply curious is anyone has had any experience with that type of setting

New Contributor

Barebottom tank is ok for corys but I wouldn't recommend it since they won't be able to sift through sand which is there natural behavior. In the long run corys would do best with a fine sand substrate, They'll exhibit natural behavior as well as feel more secure. I've heard that if its barebottom that the corys can develop a type of infection but I'd have to research more to confirm it.
Latest Discussion
View more discussions
Fish General

$1 per gallon sale

By Whiterose1978 on Dec. 15, 2017
I was wondering when the next $1 per gallon on in California
Fish General

my Fiddler crab died😢

By Guinea_Pig_06 on Dec. 3, 2017
So my fiddle crab died a couple days ago... the one that los...
Fish General

Digestion

By nursepower on Dec. 1, 2017
On bad advice from Petsmart, I put 5 baby guppies in with my...
Fish General

What can heat up my fish tank?

By Mayflo on Nov. 27, 2017
I recently bought a cheap 1 gallon tank to place my guppy fr...
Fish General

Baby Betta Winter Care

By Rochellergm on Nov. 19, 2017
Hello! I just purchased a baby betta which I have had before...
Fish General

Cichlids

By Reese on Nov. 17, 2017
Does anyone know what I can do with a bunch of baby cichlids...
Fish General

I NEED fiddler crab help!!!!!!

By Guinea_Pig_06 on Nov. 3, 2017
Hi! I have two male fiddler crabs Sebastian and Crab Cake. T...
Fish General

Koi

By Hoolio on Oct. 29, 2017
So I just bought a house with a pond I’m getting rid of but...
Fish General

parakeet

By Kevin2525 on Oct. 9, 2017
I have a major problem. I don’t know if my parakeet is a mal...
Fish General

Breeding Mollies

By AnitaSammich on Sep. 22, 2017
I had 20 mollies in a 50 gallon tank. Both male and female....
Read all discussions