Occasional Contributor

Please post me a answer!!!

Hi,i really want a ferret but every time i ask my mom for another pet she come up with some other things to talk about it!

WE already have 3 dogs and 1 cat! I take very good care of them so i dont know why she says no!?Any i still get allowence snd ill pay for every thing! PLease give me some answers!!!I need help!!!I want a ferret!

5 REPLIES
VIP

Re: Please post me a answer!!!

That's quite a lot of animals! I know you said you would pay for everything but ferrets are not cheap!

Ferrets from pet stores can cost around $140, supplies are usually around another $100-150, and a decent cage is around $200. Do you have that kind of money saved up?
Are you willing to earn money to pay for vet bills? It costs me $40 just to walk in the door at my vet, shots are another $25 each. A surgery for a blockage can easily cost $1,000. Who is going to pay for that? 

Usually, the parents end up footing the bill for animal care. Since you already have 3 dogs and cat, I can see why they would be unwilling to get another animal.

That said, I would research ferret care and read ferret care books. Learn as much as you can. I don't know how old you are, but if you are old enough, get a job and open a savings account. Save up at least $1,000 to start. Show your parents that you are serious. Then, approach them again. They might surprise you and say yes. Remember though, if they say no, you have to respect that.

Occasional Contributor

Well,i get 5$ a week for allowence,and my grandparents said they would give me 25$ every 2 weeks when school get out!And i told my parents that if i have a rodent i would pay for half the vet bills and they would pay for the other half!And your right,thats alot of animals but we use coupons so we dont have to pay the full price and since we have a cat we get cat food coupons and that really take alot of money off!!!!I know its kind of weird. Any one else have any tips.....thanks alot whiskandbowl!!!Smiley Very Happy

VIP

That's great that your grandparents are so generous!

I forgot to include this in my first post. but here are some books and websites for further reading:

Ferrets for Dummies by Kim Schilling

Ferrets by Vickie McKimmey (Animal Planet series)

www.forum.ferret.com

www.ferret-world.com

www.everything-ferret.com

www.moredooks.herobo.com

Contributor

Not to mention that ferrets need 3-4 hours outside of their cage a day, and they are just as inventive as cats; they often get themselves into trouble.  Keep in mind that your dogs and cat may try to harm the ferret.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Hi , ferrets are awesome you need get one. I have two ferrets for now Smiley Happy

Also good blog about ferrets that you can check is Friendly Ferret

Latest Discussion
View more discussions
Ferret Discussion Forum

I am looking for new family for my ferret

By Min on Nov. 19, 2017
I am no longer able to take care of my ferret, so I am looki...
Ferret Discussion Forum

Is there a best ferret cage mate?

By FuzzLover on Oct. 3, 2017
I have a 4 month old male ferret that can be more aggressive...
Ferret Discussion Forum

Bonding Problems- Kitten and Ferrets

By kayisacat on Sep. 29, 2017
Like the title suggests, I'm having problems bonding my ferr...
Ferret Discussion Forum

Marshall ferrets/ferret instinct

By FuzzLover on Sep. 27, 2017
Does Marshall raise ferrets going to pet stores differently...
Ferret Discussion Forum

Rehoming 2 male ferrets

By Angelika7x on Sep. 24, 2017
I need to rehome two of my ferrets, Dexter and Taco due to m...
Ferret Discussion Forum

Could male ferret kill female?

By FuzzLover on Sep. 22, 2017
I had a female cinnamon ferret that was two months old. Lond...
Ferret Discussion Forum

looking to sell my two female ferrets

By Sarah on Aug. 8, 2017
I am looking to sell my two female ferrets for about 100$. T...
Ferret Discussion Forum

Rabbit losing fur- What to do about it

By beaglepug02 on Jul. 23, 2017
Hello, I have 4 rabbits, three girls and two boys. They live...
Ferret Discussion Forum

Ferrets male and female

By ElaT on Jul. 18, 2017
Hello, ive recently added 2 male ferrets to my household for...
Ferret Discussion Forum

Ferret-proofing a recliner couch

By kayisacat on Jul. 17, 2017
Hi, all! I'm new to the community and was hoping for some ad...
Read all discussions