New Contributor

Ferrets male and female

Hello, ive recently added 2 male ferrets to my household for play mates for my 2 female ferrets. They are still establishing pecking order. However now, the younger male grabs my one female and she no longer fights back. She will just lay still with her eyes squinted, even after he lets her go. She just lays there with squinted eyes looking. They arent squeakimg anymore so i assume its play. But she wasnt like that before. Before she wouldnt put up with it and tear into him. He looks rough with her. Shakimg her while biting and attemping to drag her. But she doesnt squeal. The other 2 go about their ferret bussiness exploring. They all are still active and playful, eating fine, drinking.
8 REPLIES
Contributor

Re: Ferrets male and female

Hi,

It does seem like a case of dominance, and should pass in time, but continued "attacking" may be more than that. I had a female that always loved the boys, but was vicious with other females. She just wasn't having any other females around.

I have 3 males now. I have lost 2 ferrets this year. My oldest male is the alpha male. He's not bigger than the others, but he's the oldest and from time to time he will pin one of the others to the floor, holding them down by biting them on the back of the neck and laying on them. It usually only lasts a few seconds, and as long as there is no screaming, I let it go as just ferret behavour. It's rare now, and only happenes when they play and wrestle. When one just gets the best on the other too many times, or one is getting tired. They get crranky like kids do...lol

My youngest was just purchased at Petco last month. Oliver is my oldest ( 6 years old ), and Banjo is the youngest ( 5 to 7 months ). To show domanince, Oliver grabbed Banjo by the ear, and was dragging him across the floor. Oliver is normally a docile guy, and doesn't get aggressive to often, but when he did this to Banjo, my first thought was "he's going to rip his ear off". Banjo never screamed or anything. I think he knew what this was about, and they play together all the time now.

When there is any kind of, what I deem "aggressive act", that seems to go to far, I get involved. I usually push the aggressor from the side, at his back legs, to knock him off ballance. I never directly hit any of them for any reason. And in a very loud and stern voice, I scold him. "Loud and stern" usually will get their attention. And it sort of shows them that I am the Alpha Male....lol. I'll pick them both up and usually just talk to them normally. Not that it matters to them, but they see that I'm not favoring one over the other. Playing with both of them at the same time usually helps melt the ice too.

A good friend that runs a rescue once told me, when introducing new ferrets into a group that you already have, give them all a bath. She said "misery loves company". When they are all wet, and running around crazy trying to get dry again, they all seem to come together as a group that are all sharing the same "problem" so to speak. I don't cage mine. They all free roam through out the house 24/7. If there is one that gets too far out of hand ( which hasn't happened in a long time ) a 30 to 45 minute "time out" in the cage by himself usually helps too.

I would keep an eye on them, and not let it get to far out of hand. Some ferrets will never get along with others. Some..... just take longer to get use to the new ones.

Let us know how it goes with your crew. Smiley Happy

Highlighted
New Contributor

I thought it was dominance related, this is still going on, no one is squealing but they all get into their little scuffles. I'm still not housing them all together yet, it is still girls have their cage and boys have their cage. They all do seem to get along and I believe that now it's becoming just more of Yoshi being the youngest and a bit rougher then what the other ones are while playing. However he still seems to mostly only do this to the one female(Mellow) the biting of the back of the neck and laying on top of her sometimes shaking her trying to drag her there has never been blood and like I said she doesn't even fight back most of the time so I'm not sure why she lays there with her eyes squinted afterwards unless it's embarrassment. ?? Yoshi still tries this with the other 2 as well but they either fight back or wrestle with him. The other 2, Gunner and Simone mostly go on about their exploring business, but are starting to become friends.
Contributor

Hi,

I don't think I would let it go on for too much longer, without stepping in. Usually dominance is established, and settled. Occasional reminders happen, but not a daily thing.

Hopefully someone else here can give more insight and suggestions. I'll see what some of the rescue owners say too.

I do know one of the owners has split groups, simply because they fight and don't get along at all.

Keep up updated

Contributor

Be careful. I had a three months old girl die shortly after getting a two months old male. They had to be separated due to rough play at times but mostly loved each other. Not sure why girl died but I can't rule out that rough play may have a part in it.

Contributor

My 4 month old male just did the lay on top and pinned my large, older male. It's the first time I've seen him do that. He is usually a bite the neck ferret. He often needs to be scuffed to release his bite.
New Contributor

Just an update on my girls and boys... all is good. It took couple weeks for them figure it out. They are now doing great with each other. And have housed together in HUGE cage when they arent out running around. Yesterday (10-3-17) i was in the Petco shopping for a new dog leash and they had a male ferret for adoption for $20. The people who had him brought him back because I guess they just didn't want him anymore. So of course I brought him home. I think they kept him in the giant hamster like ferret ball while he would be out exercising because he walks a little funny and he wasn't quite sure at first what to make of his feet touching the floor. It was funny but also very sad to watch... he is doing good very healthy otherwise. Very loving however he os scared to death of my other 4 fuzzies. I am prepared and know now what to do to get him adjusted here with my furry family. I know it will just take time. Thank you for all your input.
Contributor

Just curious how the new ferret is doing? Is he walking better? Less afraid of the others?

New Contributor

He is still walking the same. He doesnt seem to be in any pain, so I believe it's either he's just really big footed or it's from him being in a ball all the time that has may be caused his feet to deform as he grew? I'm not really sure. I do have a veterinarian appointment for him and all the others next week for a checkup. He is playing well so far with my other younger male. He runs from my oldest male which is funny because all he wants to do is sniff him he doesn't even want to romp with him. My one female is completely careless about him right now she just wants to do her own thing she sniffs him every once in awhile but that's it. However my second female she is the one that wants to attack him constantly so we are working with that. But overall he does okay with the 3. But mellow the attacker is a different story.
Latest Discussion
View more discussions
Ferret Discussion Forum

Is there a best ferret cage mate?

By FuzzLover on Oct. 3, 2017
I have a 4 month old male ferret that can be more aggressive...
Ferret Discussion Forum

Bonding Problems- Kitten and Ferrets

By kayisacat on Sep. 29, 2017
Like the title suggests, I'm having problems bonding my ferr...
Ferret Discussion Forum

Marshall ferrets/ferret instinct

By FuzzLover on Sep. 27, 2017
Does Marshall raise ferrets going to pet stores differently...
Ferret Discussion Forum

Rehoming 2 male ferrets

By Angelika7x on Sep. 24, 2017
I need to rehome two of my ferrets, Dexter and Taco due to m...
Ferret Discussion Forum

Could male ferret kill female?

By FuzzLover on Sep. 22, 2017
I had a female cinnamon ferret that was two months old. Lond...
Ferret Discussion Forum

looking to sell my two female ferrets

By Sarah on Aug. 8, 2017
I am looking to sell my two female ferrets for about 100$. T...
Ferret Discussion Forum

Rabbit losing fur- What to do about it

By beaglepug02 on Jul. 23, 2017
Hello, I have 4 rabbits, three girls and two boys. They live...
Ferret Discussion Forum

Ferrets male and female

By ElaT on Jul. 18, 2017
Hello, ive recently added 2 male ferrets to my household for...
Ferret Discussion Forum

Ferret-proofing a recliner couch

By kayisacat on Jul. 17, 2017
Hi, all! I'm new to the community and was hoping for some ad...
Ferret Discussion Forum

Ferrets

By guineapigqueen on May. 24, 2017
I'm thinking about getting a ferret is there I should now be...
Read all discussions