Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Ferret-proofing a recliner couch

Hi, all! I'm new to the community and was hoping for some advice. 

I have two ferrets: our big guy, Reed, and little lady, Iris. Iris and Reed are currently only allowed one room in the apartment and I want to expand their area of play to the entire apartment (aside from the bathroom and our bedroom).

However, we have a sectional couch that has five sections in total. Two on either end recline. I was thinking of putting tempered hardboard on the undersides of the non-recliner sections, but am unsure what to do about the recliner sections. I had the thought to do draft blockers, but think the ferrets would either push them aside of burrow through them. Thoughts? 

Ferret-proofing non-recliner couches: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBnqRH-an8g&t=83s

Draft blocker example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Durable-Filled-3-5-x-36-Draft-Blocker-Door-Breeze-Guard-Stopper-Faux-Suede-/...

~Enjoy the Little Things (especially the furry ones)~
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Occasional Contributor

Re: Ferret-proofing a recliner couch

Thanks for the insight! Yeah, we inheriated the sectional couch from my parents and they've lasted for years. I'm hoping it'll work out with them being in the main area. I'm nervous but hopeful, since they also have trouble going to the bathroom where they shouldn't. Any suggestions on that topic? 

4 REPLIES
Contributor

The obvious first is to always know where your fuzzy friends are. And you know, they will get into places that you never expect.... I have a 10 ft section of "fencing" that I use to block off areas when needed. And I really don't have a good answer for you since I don't have anything that reclines. lol.... a sacrifice I made when we decided to let them free roam. Maybe check out some ferret groups on Facebook.... I'm sure you're not the first with this situation.
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the insight! Yeah, we inheriated the sectional couch from my parents and they've lasted for years. I'm hoping it'll work out with them being in the main area. I'm nervous but hopeful, since they also have trouble going to the bathroom where they shouldn't. Any suggestions on that topic? 

Contributor

I had 5 ferrets. Lost one to cancer in April, and one to old age this past Saturday morning. She was a little over 10 years old.

None have ever been caged. They roam the whole house. They will show you what needs to be ferret proofed....lol.... look for natural steps.... places that they can get up in, that lead to other places that they can get up on. Because they will get into places you never think about.

One of my boys got in the laundry room, .... got the exhaust hose off the dryer and took a trip outside....lol that room is closed off all the time now.

New areas also mean new places to go potty.... they will show you, for sure.

Hope this helps Smiley Happy
Contributor

Hi,

Litter box training can be a chore... we moved into a new house in January. A much bigger place. I always put newspapers around the litter boxes. Mine are picky, and won't go in the box if it has already been used. So we are always going behind them...lol

They showed me where they liked to go, so that is where I set up the litter box. They actually have 2 favorite spots. Oliver is my oldest. The other two, Jazzy & Banjo seemed to just follow the leader. Banjo is the youngest. We just got him about 6 weeks ago. He's still a little off on the concept, but if I can catch him quick enough, I put him on the newspaper or in the box. He's catching on.

They love corners. See if they decide on one, that you can live with, and try making it work. For a while, I put baby blankets in corners that i didn't want them using. They love to get under the blankets and sleep. They won't potty there now.

They are good about it...like 90% of the time. But accidents and near misses do happen.

When I hear the pitty patter of feet on news paper, I praise them, give them a hug and.....I'm a softie... a treat. Jazzy loves it and dooks like crazy. Oliver is the old guy, he just knows the ropes. Banjo is the new kid, and the problem child....lol he's holding about a 50% rating so far, but doing better.

Hope this helps.

Latest Discussion
View more discussions
Ferret Discussion Forum

I am looking for new family for my ferret

By Min on Nov. 19, 2017
I am no longer able to take care of my ferret, so I am looki...
Ferret Discussion Forum

Is there a best ferret cage mate?

By FuzzLover on Oct. 3, 2017
I have a 4 month old male ferret that can be more aggressive...
Ferret Discussion Forum

Bonding Problems- Kitten and Ferrets

By kayisacat on Sep. 29, 2017
Like the title suggests, I'm having problems bonding my ferr...
Ferret Discussion Forum

Marshall ferrets/ferret instinct

By FuzzLover on Sep. 27, 2017
Does Marshall raise ferrets going to pet stores differently...
Ferret Discussion Forum

Rehoming 2 male ferrets

By Angelika7x on Sep. 24, 2017
I need to rehome two of my ferrets, Dexter and Taco due to m...
Ferret Discussion Forum

Could male ferret kill female?

By FuzzLover on Sep. 22, 2017
I had a female cinnamon ferret that was two months old. Lond...
Ferret Discussion Forum

looking to sell my two female ferrets

By Sarah on Aug. 8, 2017
I am looking to sell my two female ferrets for about 100$. T...
Ferret Discussion Forum

Rabbit losing fur- What to do about it

By beaglepug02 on Jul. 23, 2017
Hello, I have 4 rabbits, three girls and two boys. They live...
Ferret Discussion Forum

Ferrets male and female

By ElaT on Jul. 18, 2017
Hello, ive recently added 2 male ferrets to my household for...
Ferret Discussion Forum

Ferret-proofing a recliner couch

By kayisacat on Jul. 17, 2017
Hi, all! I'm new to the community and was hoping for some ad...
Read all discussions