Occasional Contributor

Bonding Problems- Kitten and Ferrets

Like the title suggests, I'm having problems bonding my ferrets with our new kitten. Reed and Iris, my ferrets, are very interested in Shiro, my kitten. They love sniffing his bottom and his face, but he always bats them away and hisses. Currently, Reed and Iris only come out for 3-4 hours a day in their ferret room so they don't have a lot of contact with Shiro normally. My boyfriend and I have been supervising their time together, but it's only lasted about ten minutes due to the kitten's behavior to my ferret babies. The kitten's claws are very sharp and his bites are hard so I don't want to leave them alone together. I think the ferrets could gang up on him too if pushed hard enough. 

I guess what I'm asking is there a way to get them to become friends? We are ferret-proofing the living room soon and I want them to coexist in the same space. 

~Enjoy the Little Things (especially the furry ones)~
9 REPLIES
Community Representative

Re: Bonding Problems- Kitten and Ferrets

Hi kayisacat. I would like to share with you an article from Drs. Foster and Smith that can we helpful with your inquiry. How to Introduce Ferrets to Other Pets

Contributor

Hi Kayisacat!
I have never heard of anyone trying to bond their ferrets with cats. Because cats are predators and ferrets are prey, your kitty may be looking at your ferrets as food. I personally don't think it's a good idea to bond them. Definetly supervise their time together! 😀🐱🐭
Highlighted
Contributor

I'm no expert in mixing ferrets with any other animals. I only have ferrets, but this is an interesting article.

https://www.all-about-ferrets.com/ferrets-and-other-pets.html

Contributor

I have dogs, cats, Guinea pigs, ferrets and a lop eared rabbit. Sometimes I see a dog sleeping with a cat or a cat sniffing with a caged ferret or all pets wanting to see the new piggie that whistles loudly instead of the normal noise. My cats are much bigger than my largest ferret and I would never leave them unsupervised! Even in a play fight the ferret would be the underdog! I think it would be how to make them tolerate each other. Cats and ferrets are not easy to train. Even if they are like my pets and are friendly at times, I wouldn't leave them alone. The dog I see sleeping with the cat will snap if the cat does the "kneading" thing cats do or the curious cat tries to get their paw into the piggies cage. My pets are spoiled but I think many pet people keep animals separated unless watched. There are many dogs, cats and more that are gentle with other animals but cats and ferrets are both curious and hard to train. It would be very sad to see any animal hurt. Maybe get another kitten? Let each animal with its own kind. I like to have pairs, every living being needs to be with its own kind if possible. With so many unwanted animals it's wonderful to help out a few!

Contributor

I have to admit it is extremely funny when my ferrets race from couch my daughter is playing with them on, to the loveseat I'm sitting on with my dogs and my dogs run like the devil is chasing them! When our first male was young he bit one dog's tail. Since that time all five of the dogs run when a ferret comes at them, even the sweetest ferret is not completely trusted by the dogs!
Occasional Contributor

That's a cute story! Smiley Happy 

Occasional Contributor

Most of information I already knew, but thank you for the article! Smiley Happy 

Occasional Contributor

Love this article! I'll defiantely have Shiro sniffing the ferrets' bottoms and vice versa! 

Occasional Contributor

As much as I would like to get another cat, we're only allowed one in our apartment since we already have the ferrets! I was hoping to make them buddies so Shiro wouldn't be so lonely when my boyfriend and I leave for work each day. 

Latest Discussion
View more discussions
Ferret Discussion Forum

I am looking for new family for my ferret

By Min on Nov. 19, 2017
I am no longer able to take care of my ferret, so I am looki...
Ferret Discussion Forum

Is there a best ferret cage mate?

By FuzzLover on Oct. 3, 2017
I have a 4 month old male ferret that can be more aggressive...
Ferret Discussion Forum

Bonding Problems- Kitten and Ferrets

By kayisacat on Sep. 29, 2017
Like the title suggests, I'm having problems bonding my ferr...
Ferret Discussion Forum

Marshall ferrets/ferret instinct

By FuzzLover on Sep. 27, 2017
Does Marshall raise ferrets going to pet stores differently...
Ferret Discussion Forum

Rehoming 2 male ferrets

By Angelika7x on Sep. 24, 2017
I need to rehome two of my ferrets, Dexter and Taco due to m...
Ferret Discussion Forum

Could male ferret kill female?

By FuzzLover on Sep. 22, 2017
I had a female cinnamon ferret that was two months old. Lond...
Ferret Discussion Forum

looking to sell my two female ferrets

By Sarah on Aug. 8, 2017
I am looking to sell my two female ferrets for about 100$. T...
Ferret Discussion Forum

Rabbit losing fur- What to do about it

By beaglepug02 on Jul. 23, 2017
Hello, I have 4 rabbits, three girls and two boys. They live...
Ferret Discussion Forum

Ferrets male and female

By ElaT on Jul. 18, 2017
Hello, ive recently added 2 male ferrets to my household for...
Ferret Discussion Forum

Ferret-proofing a recliner couch

By kayisacat on Jul. 17, 2017
Hi, all! I'm new to the community and was hoping for some ad...
Read all discussions