Frequent Contributor

Best Toys for puppies???

Hi, I am going to get a chihuahua soon, and I want to know what kind of toys are best to buy for them. And what kind of toys will keep them occupied?Smiley Very Happy

Thanks!!!

Ratlover252525Heart

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Contributor

Re: Best Toys for puppies???

Hi, Ratlover252525!
Congrats on your Chihuahua!!!! My first suggestion is this:

-Kong is a Great toy for keeping dogs occupied when you can't. You can fill it with your dogs favorite treat. They come in little puppy sizes, and as Fido gets older, you can buy the bigger size. You can buy filling for it, or fill it with peanut butter. Never give fido too much peanut butter, as it may give them diarrhea.

- My 2 1/2 year old beagle pup, Buddy, loves things that make noise. He loves things that squeak and crinkle. If he finds an empty water bottle, he loves to chew it! The bottle makes a crinkle sound that he loves. You should take off the bottle cap and rapper, and make sure you're watching Fido when he/she is playing with the water bottle.

-I don't know if they do this at all petco's, but at my petco they have a bucket filled with toys that you can buy 2 for $5, a GREAT deal, because dog toys can be pricey.

-I know you asked about toys, but here's a few other puppy suggestions:
Puppies need to be around other dogs early on in life. Lots of Petco's have something called a "Puppy Playdate". A professional trainer comes in, and people bring their puppies. At my petco, they have it every other Saturday. I really suggest you do this. I only took Buddy to a few of these classes and now he is strange about being around other dogs. The best part.... it's completely free!

- Both my dogs, Buddy and Bamboo absouloutly HATE being bathed and getting their nails trimmed.
You can paint Fido's nails, even with people nail polish, so that way they get used to the feeling of people touching their paws. I know it sounds silly, but it should work if you start young. Also be playing with Fido's paws a lot.
For bathing, you can just start bathing young.

I just want to warn you, puppies aren't easy, but they are great!!!!! When Buddy was a pup, he whined all night. You'll probably also have to take Fido out to go potty at nighttime.

The best things to teach Fido will be to Sit, Stay and come.

I'd love to see a picture of the pup!!!!
Hope this helps.
5 REPLIES
Contributor

Hi, Ratlover252525!
Congrats on your Chihuahua!!!! My first suggestion is this:

-Kong is a Great toy for keeping dogs occupied when you can't. You can fill it with your dogs favorite treat. They come in little puppy sizes, and as Fido gets older, you can buy the bigger size. You can buy filling for it, or fill it with peanut butter. Never give fido too much peanut butter, as it may give them diarrhea.

- My 2 1/2 year old beagle pup, Buddy, loves things that make noise. He loves things that squeak and crinkle. If he finds an empty water bottle, he loves to chew it! The bottle makes a crinkle sound that he loves. You should take off the bottle cap and rapper, and make sure you're watching Fido when he/she is playing with the water bottle.

-I don't know if they do this at all petco's, but at my petco they have a bucket filled with toys that you can buy 2 for $5, a GREAT deal, because dog toys can be pricey.

-I know you asked about toys, but here's a few other puppy suggestions:
Puppies need to be around other dogs early on in life. Lots of Petco's have something called a "Puppy Playdate". A professional trainer comes in, and people bring their puppies. At my petco, they have it every other Saturday. I really suggest you do this. I only took Buddy to a few of these classes and now he is strange about being around other dogs. The best part.... it's completely free!

- Both my dogs, Buddy and Bamboo absouloutly HATE being bathed and getting their nails trimmed.
You can paint Fido's nails, even with people nail polish, so that way they get used to the feeling of people touching their paws. I know it sounds silly, but it should work if you start young. Also be playing with Fido's paws a lot.
For bathing, you can just start bathing young.

I just want to warn you, puppies aren't easy, but they are great!!!!! When Buddy was a pup, he whined all night. You'll probably also have to take Fido out to go potty at nighttime.

The best things to teach Fido will be to Sit, Stay and come.

I'd love to see a picture of the pup!!!!
Hope this helps.
Contributor

Also, Whimzees are a great treat/chew brand sold at petco.
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Thank you so much for the advice. I am sure Buster will thank you later as well!!! Smiley Happy
Contributor

You're welcome!Smiley Very Happy

Occasional Visitor

Thanks for this thread Smiley Happy I was wondering the same thing!

Latest Discussion
View more discussions
I've been wanting to teach my dog a "Walking Handstand...
Dog General

Growth scare

By ynn3j on Nov. 12, 2017
My dog is 5 years old and he has had a small growth for 3 ye...
Dog General

Burleson Texas petco Customer service

By SALTWATER55 on Nov. 9, 2017
I have been shopping within the company for years. I have al...
Dog General

Dogs & A Hedgehog

By Jeepgirl30 on Sep. 20, 2017
We have two rescues...a Lab/Cur mix (male, 80lbs) and a Cata...
Dog General

Best Toys for puppies???

By Ratlover252525 on Aug. 26, 2017
Hi, I am going to get a chihuahua soon, and I want to know w...
We live in Alaska, our male Siberian husky is not afraid of...
Kayla treated my dog buddy like he was hers. She spoke to hi...
Dog General

Wholesome Grain Free Dog Treats

By connielimon on Aug. 3, 2017
Your dog will love this mouth-watering, grain-free recipe fe...
Dog General

Life's Abundance Ear Cleaner

By connielimon on Aug. 1, 2017
All dogs need their ears cleaned regularly to avoid costly v...
Dog General

Life's Abundance Bath Fresh Mist

By connielimon on Aug. 1, 2017
Are you having trouble detangling your dog's hair? Try Life'...
Read all discussions