Occasional Contributor

Photoshop?

Hello! I have a question/comment about Petco contests. This involves Photoshop. Every time there is a contest, I get SO excited!!!!It is such a great idea!!!  I love trying to enter contests with my baby, Norbert. (She is a leopard gecko.) Norbert and I have worked together for hours to create super cute costumes, backgrounds, and hats to try to win the contest! Smiley Happy I recently realized many people using Photoshop in there pet pictures. I personally don't think it is fair for people who actually spend lots of time on making costumes. Yes, I know this is supposed to be a fun, enjoyable thing, and I love it!!! But is Photoshop aloud? That is basically what I am trying to say. Smiley Happy haha Smiley Happy Thank you! Smiley Happy 

8 REPLIES
Occasional Contributor

Re: Photoshop?

Hi I'm Sorry You feel this way about photoshop, but as a person who enters the contests with and without photoshop. Photoshop takes me hours! I sit there looking through thousands of photos for just the one the that will fit with my idea. I love the fact you can dress up your baby, but personally I used to tap out on costume/ theme contests because sadly some animals don't enjoy the cuteness of dressing up. I know what you do by dressing her is honestly hard but don't discount photoshop because im trying to make a picture that didn't exists before I made it look as though its the original picture. If this helps you feel like its an equal playing field I hope it does, <3
Community Manager

Hi RachelSophia. Thank you for your question; in short, yes, Photoshop is allowed. However, we do have a rotating panel of judges, and try to pick an assortment (even if the image is slightly blurry or upside down, for example) if the entry resonates with us! We are always impressed with the talent you all bring to these contests - your creativity blows us away!
Contributor

Hello RachelSophia!! I think that there should not be SO much PhotoShop but there can be some. because like ThePaige said, some animals just don't want costumes. Thanks
Occasional Contributor

Hello! I totally agree with you! Smiley Happy I think photoshop looks cool if it is more realsitic looking. I feel that just cutting a pasting your pet into a whole new setting is what makes it not as fun. Smiley Happy Thank you! 

Contributor

Yes, RachelSophia,
I agree that photo-shop isn't half the fun as making the costumes your self and it seems that when someone use photo shop they don't have half the chance of winning. However I have a busy schedule to keep up with and I don't always have the time/resources to make elaborate costumes. So I use photo-shop but also try my very best to shoot for costumes! Use what you've got and have fun!!
Visitor

You have a good point there RachelSophia! I think editing and retouching is acceptable because let's face it, you can't always get the perfect lighting. But I do have a different opinion on photoshop, why should someone get credit for putting together a fake photo. In a way I think it's cheating in a "photo contest" if your pet dislikes pictures, clothes, etc then simply do not participate. If your photos do not fit the contest theme then simply pass and wait to enter ones that fit best. No pets should be flustered in these what's supposed to be fun contests. And no one should get credit for a "fake photo".

I agree.  I don't like it either.  I can understand touching up, or brightening a photo, but to create an entire photo from photoshop is annoying.  I don't think those photos should count.  All of the photos I have entered have been real, and I like the real ones myself, when looking at others photos.  

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Just as much time goes into photoshop as a handmade costume. As long as the participant is having fun, I don't see an issue. While winning is great, having fun is what should be most important.

I don't think anyone should have to sit a contest out because their animal doesn't enjoy dressing up.

Some people have financial struggles and can't afford to buy or make costumes. Some people have disabilities that prevent them from sewing, cutting things out, ect.

Photoshop still goes with the creativity portion of the contest.

Relax and have fun! Smiley Happy
“Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or lose”
Latest Discussion
View more discussions
Contest announcements, info and FAQs

Merry Christmas Petco Community!

By Katniss T Paw on Dec. 9, 2017
Merry Christmas, happy holidays to all of the Petco communit...

Not happy with Petco gift cards!

By OreoTheBunny06 on Dec. 7, 2017
Hi. So yesterday I got my 2 gift cards for winning Second an...

Pet art 101 Contest?

By OreoTheBunny06 on Dec. 3, 2017
Are the people that are judging the contest ok? The contest...

New contest not showing up

By Guinea_Pig_06 on Nov. 17, 2017
Hello everyone!!!!!! The new contest is not showing up for m...

My pictures not showing for contest

By Winniethepoodle on Nov. 10, 2017
Hoping someone can help. My pic won't show up for the mustac...

Contest suggestion.

By Krystal1541 on Nov. 6, 2017
I agree with someone else’s comment in regards to dogs and c...

Contest suggestions\ideas

By OreoTheBunny06 on Nov. 4, 2017
Hi! I have some contest suggestions/ideas. Sometimes I feel...

Second place winners not showing up

By Guinea_Pig_06 on Oct. 14, 2017
Hi! I was wondering why the second place winner does not sho...

Looking for Info for the in store Halloween Costume contest

By beaglepug02 on Oct. 5, 2017
Hi! I received an email today that said there is an in-store...

Not Happy About Gift Card

By CatLuvr on Oct. 5, 2017
Hi everyone, I want you to know this in case you win a gift...
Read all discussions