Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Improvements

Just a few things I think could still change. You can not set a avatar and it goes right to an error message. Also, (where the general discussion/aquarium/nutrition links are) I would recomend adding a "Fish Species" or "Fish ______". That way there is a place to discus fish species. Maybe also an "Equipment" section. I dont know if anybody will read this.....but it was worth a shot.

"Whatever happens, happens. I just go with the flow." - Linsey Weenk
21 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Improvements

Lots of bugs in the system I suspect.  I advise patience until this stuff gets ironed out.

“The oceans are the planet's last great living wilderness, man's only remaining frontier on Earth, and perhaps his last chance to prove himself a rational species.”
― John L. Culliney
Respected Contributor

As I mentioned in the reptile forum, navigation is a bit difficult, with no obvious links to the various forums from the threads (handy when going topic to topic or forum to forum).

I managed to get my avatar up pretty easily. It helps to go through your settings thoroughly. I had to adjust my time zone, and the chronological order of posts (oldest to newest like it was, rather than newest to oldest). There's still a few things I haven't messed with, so that may improve it a bit, too. There's a good bit of customization you can do in there.

One other thing I am not a fan of is the session timeout. I tend to leave the forum up and logged in on my computer constantly, so I can easily check it from time to time.

After a week or two of getting used to it, it'll be easier to provide some feedback on what features are lacking/hindering, once we're all a bit more used to the layout.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi, this is confusing,  plus I wanted huach to know I was trying out new buttons and I ended up giving him several kudos, 1 would have been enough (for now)!  Hopefully this system will get easier to use.   

Respected Contributor

Re: This is so confusing to use... I thought a LITTLE change,...

There's an option on the main thread "Mark All As Read"...click that, and topics that generate new posts will appear in bold afterwards.

Valued Contributor

Back on my account. I think I will really like this new layout once i get used to it. It would also be alot better if they would add some of our suggestions to the site.
Valued Contributor

I found out that the different color names actually mean someting. Its like purple for super contributers like me and you and yellow for another type.....and so on.
Valued Contributor

Possibly, improvements could be that can bring it back to the old version. I dislike it very much too, Oliver. 

"Pet Talk Place" < "Petco Forum". Smiley Happy 

It's confusing. TOO WHITE. WE LOTS EVERYTHING and... I don't like it! Smiley Sad 

~It's just curious ole' me!
Valued Contributor

Another feature i do like is the accept as solution button so we can officially end threads when we get our answers.
Respected Contributor

The polls are pretty useless. I don't think there has been one good poll since the thing started.

I do like the "Kudos" button. I would also like a "Dislike" button, but it is understandable why they didn't include one.

Frequent Contributor

The font colors truly are messed up. I dont know a single forum I visit on a daily basis that has this type of setup. The pale blue, the weird yellow, too messy. An improvement would be to allow the user to set up the pages as we like to see it. All black and white or keep the funky crayola colors. Horrendous. 

Respected Contributor

The ability to select skins would be nice, though I haven't gone through all the settings yet. It may be tucked in there somewhere...most forums do have it, somewhere.

Super Contributor

LOL, I guess they got the message from my thread about fixing the forum, profiles, etc.

I kinda like this new format, but miss the old one because;

All the pics in the older threads are now gone..Makes the threads seem akward ( Should they delete all the older threads that were picture based? )

My Plecostomus pic avatar I had is gone. I did not have a saved copy of it either!  Smiley Sad

From reading this thread, Darwin answered my 3rd question / dislike.

Oh well..improvements have arrived.

Valued Contributor

Auto Log Out

What I hate the most (like Darwin) is the auto log out. I have it open on my phone, iPad, and computer all the time And now I have to sign in almost every time.

Valued Contributor

Re: Auto Log Out

[ Edited ]

What I mostly hate is that we lost EVERYTHING. I didn't have an copies of the guinea pig and the cat pictures on my computer since the darn thing crashed and I lost all the pictures. The forum pictures were the only pics I had of him and Zoey. Darn it. 

The only thing I could get back was my profile picture. I mananged to get one from google and save it. Other than that, everything is gone. We lost everything on our profiles. Smiley Sad 

They make our profile pictures so small, that it blurrs out the whole picture. Not even WORTH having an avatar, I say. 

Well, one thing I'll tell you is that this isn't the best layout they could possibly have! 

Valued Contributor

A tag is word or phrase you put in the tag field. When you search the something close to or the exact tag(words or phrases separated by a comma) that photo/article should pop up.
Valued Contributor

I've been gone a couple of months and when I come back everything has changed and I lost all of the pictures I had in my albums. I'm not sure I'm a fan of the new forum. Hopefully I will get used to it once I use it more.

Actually, even before the new set-up I had to log in everytime I came on. 

Hopefully they will tweak it a little more and that they aren't done with it. 

Esteemed Contributor

I am kicked out immediately when I try to set a custom avatar. That's why I picked the creature from the black lagoon.

To be honest, I find the aesthetics of the site ugly, juvenile and whimsical.  I will let that go, gladly, provided I can eventually get a handle on managing other aspects of the site, but JEEZ! Folks! This is just not pretty. Looks like it was designed (visually) by Fisher-Price.

“The oceans are the planet's last great living wilderness, man's only remaining frontier on Earth, and perhaps his last chance to prove himself a rational species.”
― John L. Culliney
Valued Contributor

The at&t forum has the same setup. Go look at that. That is how these colors should look.
Respected Contributor

Re: Color Schemes

If you go into the Off-Topic area of the forums, there is a thread where the mods are taking suggestions for improvements, to feel free to go suggest various things there.

Community Manager

Re: Ok, Darwin. Thanks.

Darwin, I think you and I are going to get along splendidly!  Thank you for all of your help (to everyone here really).

We are listening and taking notes.  Give the forums a bit of a chance, then give us all the feedback you can.  If something isn't working for most people, then I want to fix it right away!

We are looking into the time out issue.  Hopefully, that will be resolved relatively soon.

Best wishes!

Valued Contributor

Re: Ok, Darwin. Thanks.

"Also bigger avatars world be nice."

I second that. Smiley Happy

...I really liked the other way better. Thought I'd say that one more time.
44 REPLIES
Esteemed Contributor

Lots of bugs in the system I suspect.  I advise patience until this stuff gets ironed out.

― John L. Culliney
Respected Contributor

As I mentioned in the reptile forum, navigation is a bit difficult, with no obvious links to the various forums from the threads (handy when going topic to topic or forum to forum).

I managed to get my avatar up pretty easily. It helps to go through your settings thoroughly. I had to adjust my time zone, and the chronological order of posts (oldest to newest like it was, rather than newest to oldest). There's still a few things I haven't messed with, so that may improve it a bit, too. There's a good bit of customization you can do in there.

One other thing I am not a fan of is the session timeout. I tend to leave the forum up and logged in on my computer constantly, so I can easily check it from time to time.

After a week or two of getting used to it, it'll be easier to provide some feedback on what features are lacking/hindering, once we're all a bit more used to the layout.

Valued Contributor

I could get used to this! I actually like it overall! Man Happy

Valued Contributor

Iv'e also just noticed that there is no way to add/remove/see your friends.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi, this is confusing,  plus I wanted huach to know I was trying out new buttons and I ended up giving him several kudos, 1 would have been enough (for now)!  Hopefully this system will get easier to use.   

Valued Contributor

When you look at the 17646 threads on the Splash Forum compared to the others, you can really tell what the most used forum is.Cat Happy

Valued Contributor

This is so confusing to use... I thought a LITTLE change,...

This is so confusing to use... I thought a LITTLE change, not a big change!!  I logged onto the forum and I was kind of shocked. I lost all the pictures on my photos and friends. it's a litte hard to use, I have to admit, such a big change. It's going to take me a week or two to adjust. I liked the old way much, much better. 

~Kudos... 'kudos'... our English teacher makes us do "quiet Kudos" instead of clapping. xD 

WE all sound silly snapping our fingers. 

Super Contributor

Well I wanted to try posting now, since I couldn't log on yesterday at all. I am having a little trouble finding out which threads I've read and which ones have new content.

Respected Contributor

There's an option on the main thread "Mark All As Read"...click that, and topics that generate new posts will appear in bold afterwards.

Latest Discussion
View more discussions
Community Help & Suggestions

What do "Winnie The Pooh" and "Jack The Rippe...

By ZacZ4MicheleZ on May 14, 2016
Please "bear" with me! Spoiler (Highlight to read)...

Help Needed: Service Dog

By TriBri on Feb 26, 2016
I am looking for suggestions or guidance. With over 25 years...

Employee needs help checking her schedule

By GreatWhiite on Feb 14, 2016
Hi I'm a petco employee, and my store is a MESS. My managers...

Over a month and my order hasn't even shipped!

By lyndaleeford on Jan 18, 2016
Of course, payment was taken when I ordered but the item has...

Grooming

By Mj4 on Jan 10, 2016
I have a dilemma. I have been taking both of my dogs to Petc...

Cannot access my account

By LionMike on Dec 21, 2015
I have a petco P.A.L.S. card. I have accessed the account in...

Cat Litter Shipping Costs

By goetzgirl3 on Jul 26, 2015
I have purchased cat litter serveral times now from Petco. I...

Food Order Fail

By Westies on Jun 3, 2015
I'm SO tired of petco.com ! Tried to use the 'June 20' 20% o...

Petco, Say It Isn't True about Phasing Out Fancy Feast Class...

By cyannah on May 18, 2015
When I visited my local Petco in NYC yesterday, there were v...

Yorkie Potty Training

By 1sttimemom on Feb 27, 2015
Hello everyone, I am a first time dog owner. I am now a momm...
Read all discussions