Highlighted
VIP

Trapping A Cat

Someone in my neighborhood posted "missing cat" sign with a picture on every (?) telephone pole, including one next to my mailbox. There have been sightings and I think this cat was in my yard yesterday evening. Cats are attracted to my yard because I feed the birds and there are a lot of squirrels, chipmunks, moles/voles, etc. But I also get various critters after dark, such as opossums, skunks, raccoons, rabbits, deer, and an occasional fox.

I'm considering setting a trap in my yard because I think there is a good chance the missing cat will return. However, I might be more likely to catch some critter other than the cat.

Does anyone know of a way to increase the chance that I'll trap the cat and decrease (or eliminate) the chances of catching one of those critters? Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!
2 REPLIES
Community Manager

Re: Trapping A Cat

[ Edited ]

Hi Michele. Thank you for posting your question, I'm happy to hear that you think you found a missing cat! I recommend calling the pet owner on the poster or animal control for tips on how to handle this situation. If you are unsure of these contact numbers, you may want to call your local Petco to see if they have advice on local resources that could help. Also, here's an article on returning a lost pet. Please check back in with an update!

Alex Cat Very Happy

VIP

Re: Trapping A Cat

I did call the owner and left a message and he returned my call and left a message that there have been sightings on the area!

I also considered borrowing a trap from the Humane Society (or renting one from the local Agway), but I haven't seen the cat again and thought I should wait to see if it returns before I set a trap. The cat has been missing for more than two months... things don't look good at this point.
Latest Discussion
View more discussions
Cat General

Fleas

By sassy&blackie on Nov. 29, 2017
My cat has fleas and they are visible. They are on his stoma...
Hi - I'm new to the Petco community but have lived in the Mi...
Cat General

Catio

By Cicilini on Aug. 23, 2017
Thank you Petco for getting the word out about Catios! So ma...
Cat General

Scratched by a cat in a Pecto store.

By Paul888 on Aug. 6, 2017
I was scrathed by a cat in Petco store this afternoon. It wa...
Cat General

Litter Tub recycling

By Two Girls on Jul. 17, 2017
Does anyone here use the PetCo SoPhresh cat litter in the tu...
Does anyone know if the Omega Paw Litter Box on Petco.com is...
Cat General

Our cat is urinating on our bed

By MOCatdaddy on May. 1, 2017
Hello all, just need guidance on one of our fur babies. His...
Cat General

Jealous Kitty

By tracyz on Apr. 11, 2017
We have had our dog for 7 years now and our cat for 6. We ad...
Cat General

Rainbows

By CatMomJen on Mar. 7, 2017
Hello everyone, I am new to this community. I have been a pe...
Cat General

Litter box rim

By SnowWolf on Feb. 3, 2017
I've been using one of the SoPhresh open litter boxes - SKU...
Read all discussions