Highlighted
New Contributor

My kitten has a swollen upper lip

My cat has a swollen upper lip. It looks a little bigger than usual and is slightly more pink than usual. There is no scabbing, broken skin or any sort of visible wound. I've inspected her mouth and haven't found any ulcers on her lip or tongue. She has been eating and drinking Just fine as well as eliminating with no problems. She has had dried crusty boogers around her nose since I got her about a month ago. They're dark, almost black in color, and I clean them off every day. Other than that, nothing that seems to raise any other alarms.
2 REPLIES
Community Manager

Re: My kitten has a swollen upper lip

Hi edennlatoni. Thank you for your question; it sounds like a trip to the veterinarian may be in order. Please be sure to come back and keep us posted!
Esteemed Contributor

Re: My kitten has a swollen upper lip

Many viruses similar to the ones that cause herpes in humans are common among cats. Some can be controlled through vaccinations, and others seem to emerge when the cat is young and has't fully developed its immune system or is weakened by other factors: parasites, malnutrition, etc. The discolored area usually ulcerates but not always, and I suspect that's what's going on here.  I have also had cats who were chronic sneezers for which no solution was ever found.  One sneezed so violently it sometimes had nosebleeds.  When there is nasal and ocular discharge, that's usually a sign of upper respiratory infection superimposed on the other problem.  As has been suggested, I would consult a veterinarian.to see what can be done.  Take care of your little friend! Sounds like a good guy!

“The oceans are the planet's last great living wilderness, man's only remaining frontier on Earth, and perhaps his last chance to prove himself a rational species.”
― John L. Culliney
Latest Discussion
View more discussions
Cat General

Rainbows

By CatMomJen on Mar. 7, 2017
Hello everyone, I am new to this community. I have been a pe...
Cat General

Litter box rim

By SnowWolf on Feb. 3, 2017
I've been using one of the SoPhresh open litter boxes - SKU...
Cat General

Cats attitude is out of hand help!

By Angel22867 on Jan. 30, 2017
My cat is 3 and for the past 2 years has had horrible attitu...
Cat General

My kitten has a swollen upper lip

By edennlatoni on Jan. 10, 2017
My cat has a swollen upper lip. It looks a little bigger tha...
Cat General

My Cat Lulu

By Jackie and Lulu on Jan. 5, 2017
I adopted Lulu 2 years ago. I found her on Craiglist. What a...
Cat General

Trapping A Cat

By ZacZ4MicheleZ on Oct. 22, 2016
Someone in my neighborhood posted "missing cat" si...
Cat General

A BETTER MEMORY OF "9/11"

By ZacZ4MicheleZ on Sep. 11, 2016
I'm sure today, the 15th anniversary of the now infamous...
Cat General

Sphynx Kitten first night home

By KittenSmitten on Sep. 2, 2016
Hi All, I just got a Sphynx kitten today and she hasn't eate...
Cat General

Feeding 2 cats different food

By Ang on Aug. 31, 2016
I have 2 cats that are on different foods. My younger cat wi...
Cat General

Playing with two cats

By Lucky&Bowie on Aug. 16, 2016
I have a 6 year old cat, Lucky, and I just adopted a 3.5 mon...
Read all discussions