Highlighted
New Contributor

Lighting for my Canary

I need to put some type of light near my Canary.The room is pretty dull. My sister uses a low wattage floresent light near the outside of her cage.Her birds seem very healthy and happy. She has it on a timer too. 

Is this ok to use?  I know they cost less to use and they're not as shocking bright as a normal light bulb and Not as hot.

Thank you for any replies. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager

Re: Lighting for my Canary

Hi granbjd22. Admittedly I’m a cat person, so I did a little bit of research and found some information that may be helpful. There are a variety of solutions available in regards to lighting for your canary.  A full-spectrum fluorescent light will actually produce Vitamin D for your Canary, which is something that not every bulb does. One thing to note is that birds must be able to self-regulate temperature by moving in and out of the light, so you’ll also want to be sure to cover the cage at night when the sun typically goes down. Providing this light/dark cycle helps promote a natural rhythm for your canary. You may also want to take a look at this article about the basic care of Canaries here: http://goo.gl/u5yC4E. Best wishes!

1 REPLY
Community Manager

Re: Lighting for my Canary

Hi granbjd22. Admittedly I’m a cat person, so I did a little bit of research and found some information that may be helpful. There are a variety of solutions available in regards to lighting for your canary.  A full-spectrum fluorescent light will actually produce Vitamin D for your Canary, which is something that not every bulb does. One thing to note is that birds must be able to self-regulate temperature by moving in and out of the light, so you’ll also want to be sure to cover the cage at night when the sun typically goes down. Providing this light/dark cycle helps promote a natural rhythm for your canary. You may also want to take a look at this article about the basic care of Canaries here: http://goo.gl/u5yC4E. Best wishes!

Latest Discussion
View more discussions
Cage & Habitat

I've had my birds for almost 4yrs

By Lamagic on May. 9, 2017
I purchased 3 Birds and one dies the next month but the othe...
Cage & Habitat

Nest for my Diamond Doves (It's Spring)?

By Whisperer on Mar. 15, 2016
I just adopted two Diamond Doves. It's Spring and it looks l...
So as I went to purchase food and snacks at my local pet sto...
Cage & Habitat

Lighting for my Canary

By granbjd22 on Aug. 19, 2014
I need to put some type of light near my Canary.The room is...
Cage & Habitat

New bird meets old bird?

By koharrison93 on Mar. 28, 2014
I've had a parakeet for 4 years. I only got one when I got h...
Cage & Habitat

Finding a Cockcatiel Cage

By guinealover015 on Mar. 31, 2013
Whats the best type of cage? I've been bonding with a cockat...
Cage & Habitat

New Cage

By S.A.N. on Jan. 4, 2013
Hello, i just wanted to say that my eser name is S.A.N. for...
Read all discussions