Occasional Contributor

Questions about Parakeets, going to be a first time owner!

Hello, thanks for reading my topic!! I am probably going to be a first time owner of a parakeet (or 2) in the near future. I have a few questions though!

Is it better to get two parakeets or do they do fine alone?

Does petco sale both genders and how old are they normally when you buy them?

What colors of parakeets does petco sale?

And besides the cage/food water/toys what else do they need?

Thank you very much for any help!

9 REPLIES
Occasional Contributor

RE: Questions about Parakeets, going to be a first time owner!

Any answers would be great! Smiley Happy
Valued Contributor

Congratulations on your choice. They are flock birds so whether you are it's companion or you purchase another to keep it company depends on what you want out of the bird. If you want it as a companion that you can hold and play with, then I would only get one parakeet. If that is the case make sure you ditch mirrors. They tend to bond with it and will be less likely to bond with you. If you just like it as a look don't touch and like the singing, purchase more then one. 

Petco does sell both genders. When they come in very young they all look like females. It is only after they are older will you be able to tell the gender (between 8-12 months) When they are older males will have a bluish/purple cere and the female a tan/beige color cere or even a light blue almost white. With older males their heads will luminous under black light.The age can vary at the stores. We get them in and out 4 birds maybe only two sells and we get another 4 more in. 

If you are looking for a young bird you won't be able to visibly sex it. The lines on the head are darker and goes all way to the cere and their eyes are a solid black. As they mature the lines start to lighten and recede back towards the neck and the eyes develop a brown ring around the black. 

They come in all colors, blue and green are the normal colors but the rare ones can be white, yellow, mint and lighter greens and blues. 

You basically have the list down to what you need, I would throw in a cuddle bone, vitamins, a book and patience. The birds at Petco aren't hand tamed and since they are with other birds you have to have patience.

A good website seems to be http://www.budgieplace.com. They also have pictures genders and color phases on a parakeet. 
Occasional Contributor

Thank you so much for taking time to respond to this! the information you gave is extremely helpful! So do you think it would be impossible to tell the gender when buying from petco? After your answers I now know I only want one Smiley Wink
Occasional Contributor

Also, the reason I chose parakeets is becuase after doing some online research, many people said they are good for first time bird owners, and they are one of the better birds to have in an apartment, which is where I am going to be living. Do you agree with this?
Valued Contributor

No problem. You may or may not be able to tell the gender of the birds. We usually have between 15-20 parakeets at a time. So we have parakeets of all ages.

Most people start out with parakeets because they are cheap, are less noisy then a lot of other birds especially if you are in an apartment. The other reason is they are handleable unlike most canaries and finches. 

Just a side note. Make sure that you think about where you are placing it in your home. Avoid kitchens, areas near vents and drifts in the winter. DON'T use plug in air fresheners, be careful of cleaning products and you shouldn't use teflon coated pans.
Super Contributor

I admire that you're so knowledable on different animals, Kat.  If I ever get laid off from my current job, maybe I'll try a job at Petco.  ; )
Valued Contributor

Thanks, it just comes from owning so many different animals. To be honest I've learned very little from any kind of training that I've gotten from Petco, except dog and cat nutrition.
Occasional Contributor

thanks again for the help! What about candles and the new scentsy stuff? Does that hurt them? Also, since you work at petco, do you know if you allow the people to interact with the birds before they choose one?
Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: Questions about Parakeets, going to be a first time owner!

ok i have a parekeet and i got it from petco, im guessing 4-5 months it is starting to do its first molt, but the bird has a pink cere what sex is this?

Latest Discussion
View more discussions
Bird General

Parakeet died within 13 days of purchase.

By Nonk on May. 19, 2017
What do I need to do to get a replacement bird?
Bird General

Pet bird packing and shipping tips

By shanns on Jan. 15, 2017
Hey guys... Here I got something very usefull to those who a...
Bird General

Parekeet sex

By mdens on Jan. 14, 2017
hey guys, i got a parrekeet from petco, and i need to know t...
Bird General

Jenday Conure Severely Sick

By Art3mis on Jan. 3, 2017
I bought Artemis (my Jenday Conure) from Petco in Fredericks...
Bird General

What sex are parakeets

By brenlee10 on Dec. 18, 2016
I just adopted 2 parakeets and was wondering how do u tell t...
Bird General

In need of bird sitter in Wisconsin!

By AlEvs23 on Jul. 22, 2016
I am lookimg for someone who can or knows of somebody who ca...
Bird General

Sick Bird!!

By Tkilgore12 on Jun. 15, 2016
I have found an African Ringneck which is labeled Indian rin...
Bird General

Green Cheek Conure in Dubois, PA Store

By EllenD on Jun. 14, 2016
I lost my boy of 17 years 6 months ago, and have been lookin...
Yesterday was Pennsylvania's count day, and I always look fo...
Bird General

Parakeet 5th-Wheeler

By Brynne on Apr. 12, 2016
Hi, over the past going on 1.5 years, I've accumulated 5 par...
Read all discussions