Highlighted

Jenday Conure Severely Sick

I bought Artemis (my Jenday Conure) from Petco in Fredericksburg VA on November 7th, 2016. I took him to the vet on the 20th of November when I came home to find him a little lethargic, fluffed up, and chattering constantly. A night's stay at the vet, a few tests, $450, and he was confirmed as having a yeast infection in his crop. I was sent away with some meds to clear it up.

He seemed to have gotten better, but this past week he started up the same behavior. So I took him to a different vet that deals only in exotics and is highly rated through various online sources. That was this past Friday. They see no infection this time, and a few tests indicate that he is not fighting one. We are waiting for a few more tests to come back, including one testing for avian bornavirus. The vets think that the symptoms point to this, but we are waiting for the test to confirm their suspisions. One other piece of evidence is that Artemis' ID bracelet appears to be from the same breeder as the ID bracelet of a conure that recently came to them and passed away from avian bornavirus. I'm not giving up on him. I'm doing my research on all of this as well as having the vets do what they can to find out what is going on while keeping him as comfortable as possible. The vet bill is up to ~$1450 and climbing. I've grown very attached to him these past two months, and it is really hard seeing him in this condition.

Regardless of how I feel... I don't have that kind of money, so I am applying for care credit so I can finance it. I don't know what I can do if I am not approved. However, before I go to the store and deal with this in person, I wanted to see if anyone else has had any experiences with Petco selling them sick animals and what Petco did to correct their oversight. Anyone have a similar situation?

1 REPLY
Community Representative

Re: Jenday Conure Severely Sick

Hi, Art3mis. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us. Would you please send us an email at ptpsupport@petco.com and include your phone number, the store location and a link to your post. We would like to look into this further. Thank you.
-Tiffany
Latest Discussion
View more discussions
Bird General

Pet bird packing and shipping tips

By shanns on Jan. 15, 2017
Hey guys... Here I got something very usefull to those who a...
Bird General

Parekeet sex

By mdens on Jan. 14, 2017
hey guys, i got a parrekeet from petco, and i need to know t...
Bird General

Jenday Conure Severely Sick

By Art3mis on Jan. 3, 2017
I bought Artemis (my Jenday Conure) from Petco in Fredericks...
Bird General

What sex are parakeets

By brenlee10 on Dec. 18, 2016
I just adopted 2 parakeets and was wondering how do u tell t...
Bird General

In need of bird sitter in Wisconsin!

By AlEvs23 on Jul. 22, 2016
I am lookimg for someone who can or knows of somebody who ca...
Bird General

Sick Bird!!

By Tkilgore12 on Jun. 15, 2016
I have found an African Ringneck which is labeled Indian rin...
Bird General

Green Cheek Conure in Dubois, PA Store

By EllenD on Jun. 14, 2016
I lost my boy of 17 years 6 months ago, and have been lookin...
Yesterday was Pennsylvania's count day, and I always look fo...
Bird General

Parakeet 5th-Wheeler

By Brynne on Apr. 12, 2016
Hi, over the past going on 1.5 years, I've accumulated 5 par...
Bird General

One diamond dove died, what should I do?

By MulanT on Apr. 1, 2016
Hi, One of my diamond doves died and I have an untame female...
Read all discussions