Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Green Cheek Conure in Dubois, PA Store

I lost my boy of 17 years 6 months ago, and have been looking the last 3 months for a new baby, hand tamed green cheek conure. My local Petco has 2 sun conures, hand fed, for $650, which is ridiculous considering a high price for a tame breeder baby is $450, most are in the $300-350 range. A friend of mine told me a while ago about a hand fed green cheek in the Dubois store that has been there quite a while. Now already have a flight and many large perches all over my house, food, toys, and everything for my new baby. I just need to find the right baby. I have been to the Dubois store twice to look at this baby green cheek, he is a beautiful bird, though I wasn't aware that Petco even had hand tamed babies. He must have been there quite a while because although he comes right up to you in his cage, just like the sun ones here in State College do, he backs away when he sees your hand. They have him marked down to $299, which is admittedly a good price, though I'm very hesitant about buying a hand tamed parrot at a pet store.

My question is, since he's been there a while and is apparently going to take some work to tame, is it possible that the store may take $200 for the bird? I don't know if that's something they do at Petco, negotiate the price of an animal that has been there a long time, but I would be willing to pay $200 for him and work with him to get him tame again. I am a bit worried as I don't know where local Petco stores get hand tamed babies, and I'm a bit hesitant as I said, but I can't stop thinking about him in that cage for as long as he has been.
1 REPLY
Community Manager

Re: Green Cheek Conure in Dubois, PA Store

Hi EllenD. Thank you for your post and welcome to the community! I'm sorry for your loss but I'm happy to hear that you're ready to find a new feathered friend. If you send your phone number and these details to PTPsupport@petco.com I'd be happy connect with our team to have the store leader reach out to discuss this with you, or you can call the store at (814) 375-1274. 

Alex Cat Very Happy

Latest Discussion
View more discussions
~2 weeks ago we rescued Cardinal baby bird, fed it by hand s...
Bird General

Parakeet sudden death :(

By Fayjill4 on Jul. 16, 2017
We bought a parakeet a week ago. She's been a good singer, f...
Bird General

Parakeet died within 13 days of purchase.

By Nonk on May. 19, 2017
What do I need to do to get a replacement bird?
Bird General

Pet bird packing and shipping tips

By shanns on Jan. 15, 2017
Hey guys... Here I got something very usefull to those who a...
Bird General

Parekeet sex

By mdens on Jan. 14, 2017
hey guys, i got a parrekeet from petco, and i need to know t...
Bird General

Jenday Conure Severely Sick

By Art3mis on Jan. 3, 2017
I bought Artemis (my Jenday Conure) from Petco in Fredericks...
Bird General

What sex are parakeets

By brenlee10 on Dec. 18, 2016
I just adopted 2 parakeets and was wondering how do u tell t...
Bird General

In need of bird sitter in Wisconsin!

By AlEvs23 on Jul. 22, 2016
I am lookimg for someone who can or knows of somebody who ca...
Bird General

Sick Bird!!

By Tkilgore12 on Jun. 15, 2016
I have found an African Ringneck which is labeled Indian rin...
Bird General

Green Cheek Conure in Dubois, PA Store

By EllenD on Jun. 14, 2016
I lost my boy of 17 years 6 months ago, and have been lookin...
Read all discussions