Untitled Document
Pet Talk Place - where pet lovers connect, share and learn adopted by Petco

Paul Jolly – Rest in Peace, our friend…

by Community Manager ‎03-10-2014 01:57 PM - edited ‎03-10-2014 03:52 PM

PaulJolly5.jpgIt is with heavy hearts that we announce the passing of a much-loved colleague, tireless animal-welfare advocate, and former Executive Director of the Petco Foundation, Paul Jolly. Paul passed away peacefully in his sleep Friday evening, surrounded by his loving friends, after a two-year battle with Amytrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS).

Paul dedicated his entire life to saving animals. In addition to working for several humane organizations, he also led the Petco Foundation to raise millions of dollars to make the world a more compassionate place for animals in need.

In October, we celebrated Paul’s incredible 35 years with Petco as the Paul Jolly Center for Pet Adoptions opened in San Antonio, Texas. The facility serves as a fitting tribute to the incredible work Paul did to support animal-welfare and inspire thousands of Petco partners and others through his example.

For many of us here at Petco, Paul was our North Star, guiding and inspiring us to always push to do more on behalf of animals in need. A powerful writer, Paul frequently put his heart and his life-long passion into stories that brought tears to our eyes and a renewed resolve in our hearts.

“Paul was an incredible person who made our lives and the lives of countless people and animals better throughout his life,” said Charlie Piscitello, President, Petco Foundation. “His purpose and his authenticity were unparalleled.  We will all surely miss his presence, but his impact on us here at Petco and the Petco Foundation, his friends and colleagues, and the larger world, will forever remain, and we'll continue our work on the important cause he so capably stood for.”

Paul will be missed by countless people and pets across the country who were touched by his work, his life, and his dedication to making the world a better place for animals. He is survived by his loving partner and spouse of 25 years, Rick Feldman, and his many loving friends.

Today, we celebrate a compassionate and inspiring friend, who was always thinking of others and of animals in need even as he prepared for his own departure …

PaulJolly1.jpgSTILL

When I leave you to inhabit another world,

Grieve not,

Nor speak of me with tears,

But laugh and talk of me as if I were beside you still.

Please do not let the thought of me be sad….

There were so many things I still wanted to do…

So many things I still wanted to say…

So many animals that still needed help…

And remember this – that I did not fear…

It was leaving while there was still so much work to do that was the hardest to face…

We cannot see beyond…

Still, this I know, I worked hard, and tried to do the best that was in me.

I hope I still made a difference.

-Paul Jolly

As we celebrate Paul’s life and his incredible lifework, please share your memories and consider making a donation in his memory to Golden West Chapter of ALS Association – an organization that was very close to his heart – to support their mission to treat and cure ALS while empowering people with Lou Gehrig’s Disease and their families.

PaulJolly3.jpg  PaulJolly2.jpg

Announcements

Welcome to the new Petco Community. We will be working over the next few months on creating a place for pet owners, by pet owners. Please stay tuned for more announcements and information on how YOU can help shape our new home.

Do you have feedback or suggestions? Please share them with us in the comments and suggestions section of the forums, found in the "lounge"

Best wishes!

Shop petco.com     Find a Store