Untitled Document
Pet Talk Place - where pet lovers connect, share and learn adopted by Petco
Valued Contributor
The_Big_A
Accepted Solution

Snowflake Eel Tankmates?

So, as I found out, you cant do much with a 20 gallon aquarium. My uncle has a old 150 gallon w/ 3 coral inserts and sand and entire filtration that he dosen't use anymore. With the chance we find room to put it he said I can have it. If we do get it I would really like a Snowflake Eel. I have a few questions like: What is their diet? and What can be kept with them?

"Whatever happens, happens. I just go with the flow." - Linsey Weenk
Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
Darwin_Ahoy

Re: Snowflake Eel Tankmates?

They eat mostly shellfish and crustaceans. Krill, clam, mussel, crab, etc. They can be kept with pretty much anything they can't swallow.

Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
huachinango

The ironic thing is, morays are quite sedentary and you can house them in pretty small tanks comparatively.  Give 'em a pile of live rock to "hole up" in and they are pretty happy.  You won't often see them swimming in the open, though, so from a distance this is not the "showiest" fish one could have.  I get the feeling they are rather intelligent, and that you could even do some rudimentary "training" of this creature especially where feeding is concerned.  Darwin is right in warning you of their potential as a threat to other fish. I was in a fish store once where the staff attempted to place a moderate sized green moray in a tank with a reef shark.  The Moray lunged at the shark and held on. When it finally let go, the stunned shark lay gasping on the floor of the tank, went into shock and promptly died.  There was no way in the world the moray would have selected that shark as prey in a natural setting, and no way it would be able to actually eat it. He was just defending his turf and having a shark in such close quarters excited him to the point of attack.  If I had not been there and seen this fatal interaction I wouldn't have believed it.  Of course, Snowflake eels grow to a fraction of the size of a green moray, and they are of milder disposition. . .but take care!

I have also seen morays writhing on the floors of many a fish store, having just made the escape that  requires a prompt rescue! 

But it would be great if you are able to get  that large tank, because it will allow you to keep some very spectacular species that do appreciate the space. Tangs, especially, come to mind. Hope you are able to make it work!

“The oceans are the planet's last great living wilderness, man's only remaining frontier on Earth, and perhaps his last chance to prove himself a rational species.”
― John L. Culliney
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
The_Big_A

So what about it being with a Debelius' Reef Lobster or Daum's Reef Lobster? Or a Lettuce Sea Slug?

"Whatever happens, happens. I just go with the flow." - Linsey Weenk
Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
Darwin_Ahoy

I would not trust it with the lettuce sea slug. The lobsters will be in danger when they molt. It's best to keep these in FOWLR tanks without most inverts.
Please use plain text.

Shop petco.com     Find a Store