Untitled Document
Pet Talk Place - where pet lovers connect, share and learn adopted by Petco
Valued Contributor
The_Big_A
Accepted Solution

Protein Skimmer

I ordered this protein skimmer from Sky Enterprise USA http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002YZ1API/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00) and it is 530GPH and for aquariums up to 150 gallons. It hangs on the back of the tank. I know my tank is only 20 gallons but I may be upgrading in the future to a corner aquarium... but anyway........ What is the main purpose of a protein skimmer? I know you need one for corals and that is why I ordered it. Im ready for corals. I have the purple and red algae and my water parameters are fine. Also, since this can be used in a 150 gallon aquarium will it produce too many bubbles?

"Whatever happens, happens. I just go with the flow." - Linsey Weenk
Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
huachinango

Re: Protein Skimmer

They are pretty much essential for all marine tanks, whether you have corals or not. They strip out nitrogenous wastes from the the water.  The bubbles are actually formed of the viscous, protein-rich waste, so when they pop, all that gunk collects in the cup and you can discard it.  Brilliant!

I believe your skimmer may be too powerful for this tank.  I honestly don't know what will happen.  My skimmers are all in sumps, and they sit behind baffles away from the return pumps so there is some opportunity for the bubbles to dissipate.  I suspect you will see a lot of bubbles. . .

Some people claim that you cannot over-skim, but skimming can remove trace elements, and in a reef tank, you may need to monitor these and replenish them more often if your skimmer is very effective.

“The oceans are the planet's last great living wilderness, man's only remaining frontier on Earth, and perhaps his last chance to prove himself a rational species.”
― John L. Culliney
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
The_Big_A

Re: Protein Skimmer

I guess I'll find out. I just got back from American Aquarium and Pet Supply to pick up my first coral (a button polyp) which I poked out a while ago. Well see what happens when the skimmer arrives tomorrow.
"Whatever happens, happens. I just go with the flow." - Linsey Weenk
Please use plain text.

Shop petco.com     Find a Store