Untitled Document
Pet Talk Place - where pet lovers connect, share and learn adopted by Petco
Valued Contributor
The_Big_A
Accepted Solution

Button Polyp Coral Frag

So I went to American Aquarium and Pet Supply (www.americanaquariumapeppersupply.com) and picked up my first coral that I picked out a week ago. It was a Button Head Polyp. My tank has a reef capaple t-5 lighting, a 30 gallon power filter, a 75 watt heater, a power head, 20 pounds of live sand, 6 pounds of live rock (still adding more), and purple and red algae. The tank is 20 gallons and I will also be adding a 530GPH skimmer tomorrow. I've been drip acclimating my coral for the past 2 hours and I'm going to put it in my tank around 9:00pm. I know that they are good for beginners (like me), should an be placed anywhere, are hardy, and photosynthetic so they only have to be target fed specialty foods. I was thinking of placing it on the sand in the upfront left corner informing of my power head. Should that be a good place to position it? Is there anything else I need to know about these corals?

"Whatever happens, happens. I just go with the flow." - Linsey Weenk
Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
Darwin_Ahoy

Re: Button Polyp Coral Frag

This may be a species of Palythoa, which can exude an extraordinarily powerful toxin. While human exposures are rare, it's worth noting to be caution of putting your hand in the tank if you have a cut, particularly if the coral has been recently damaged/fragged. Otherwise, these are extremely simple, hardy corals.

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
The_Big_A

And what happens if you do stick your hand in with a cut..... Like last night after I put my hand in the water (with a fresh cut on my finger) to place the newly fragged coral in its spot?
Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
Darwin_Ahoy

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
The_Big_A

Ok. So glad that it didn't happen to me. Guess next time I have a glass cut on my finger I'll have someone else shove their hand inside the tank!
Please use plain text.

Shop petco.com     Find a Store