Untitled Document
Pet Talk Place - where pet lovers connect, share and learn adopted by Petco
Valued Contributor
The_Big_A
Accepted Solution

Saltwater Fish Foods

In my 20 Gallon Saltwater currently FOWLR (soon to be reef whenever I have time to get some corals and inverts) I have two Ocellaris Clownfish and one Yellow Watchman Goby. For the last few months I've only fed them one kind of food (Omega Flakes) twice a day. I know that was not great but I was new to saltwater and tried to keep it as simple as possible. What other foods can I give them (ex. Pellets/Frozen/Live)?

"Whatever happens, happens. I just go with the flow." - Linsey Weenk
Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
Darwin_Ahoy

Re: Saltwater Fish Foods

New Life Spectrum is great. Various frozen foods are also an excellent choice.

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
The_Big_A

Any liveones?
Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
Darwin_Ahoy

Yea, depending on the fish. We sell various graciliaria algaes at the store for $1.99 which are used to feed to tangs, angels, etc. You can also find live copepods for sale relatively easily for small stuff, like dragonets. Ghost shrimp are good for larger stuff.

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
The_Big_A

Ok thanks for your help Darwin. I will get some of that next time I go to Pet Smart or CO.

Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
huachinango

Also monitor competition and make sure that you target feed slower feeding fish. Sometimes, it is impossible to keep certain species together not because of direct aggression, but  simply because they are not fast enough.  I think I told you that my Koran Angel was losing muscle mass, actually thinning on either side of his spine behind his head, very bad indication of malnutrition, owing to the insatiable appetites and quick movement of the chromis gang.

He is fully recovered. . .now that they are out of the tank. 

I have also noticed that my fish, as they gain size, stop paying as much attention to the tiny food on which they were raised initially.  The angels look for larger pieces of Krill and Squid and will not waste time chasing tiny mysis around unless they are really hungry. Even then, it wouldn't be effective for them.  SO do look for issues as they arise and change any foods that your fish may have outgrown.  Many marine species are very opportunistic feeders, so variety--as much as you can possibly provide-- is good.

“The oceans are the planet's last great living wilderness, man's only remaining frontier on Earth, and perhaps his last chance to prove himself a rational species.”
― John L. Culliney
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
The_Big_A

Ok Huach. Thank you. Good luck in the storm.
Please use plain text.

Shop petco.com     Find a Store