Untitled Document
Pet Talk Place - where pet lovers connect, share and learn adopted by Petco
New Contributor
Pippin_Dog
Accepted Solution

Dog won't stop eating cat food!!!

I have a three year old Silky terrier whose around seven to ten pounds, she refuses to gain more weight and her vet said she's perfectly healthy at that weight. My problem is that she keeps eating the cat food! My cat is a picky eater, anything but the Purina Sensitive Systems for cat's food makes him throw up, and he's old so he can't jump up high to get to his food. Both their food bowls are on the kitchen floor with their water between them. I have tried buying a smaller bowl for my dog, changing her food (she used to only eat the Purina dry food and she won't eat ANY wet food she turns her nose up at it) I'm not sure what else to do, I even try to just feed my cat at night but he's a slow eater and I worry that he's not getting the food he needs because she's eating it all. I'm also worried about what kind of effects eating the cat food might have on my dog? I know she's still eating her dog food, but she's also eating the cat food. She doesn't seem to be gaining a ton of weight or anything I'm just very worried. If anyone has a way to stop her from eating the cat food it'd be really appreciated. Unfortunately I can't just scold her as I'm not always home/awake when she is eating it, but I know she's eating it because her dog food is nearly always untouched. Again cat is old so putting his food up high is not an option, I don't want him to fall and hurt himself. 

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
doglady

Re: Dog won't stop eating cat food!!!

[ Edited ]

I don't understand your question? I have more than 1 dog, they are all food aggressive, they are fed twice a day in separate locations within 2 rooms.
I monitor them for 20 minutes, if they eat, great, if not, the food is picked up and put in the fridg for the next mealtime.

I would never leave food out. Plenty of fresh water only.

How about a doggy gate at the the kitchen door (so your dog can't get at the cat food) if you must give your cat extra time to eat?

Maybe put down an extra water dish, most pets don't drink enough water.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Pippin_Dog

I don't have set times for them to eat as my dog was under weight for a while and the vet said it was best to just leave food out for her so she could eat when she decided she was hungry. She doesn't have an issue with water it is one of those water dishes with a bottle attached so that there is always water in it. I need a way to keep my dog from eating the cats food, and I'm not going to be able to gate her off from the kitchen as 1) that's where the food is and 2) that's the only room in the house with tile other than the bathroom and I'm not putting her water dish into the bathroom. My dog makes a mess I'm not going to put the food or water on a carpet. My only issue is trying to figure out why she's eating the cat food and get her to stop eating the cat food.

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
doglady

[ Edited ]

She's eating it because it appeals to her and it must taste good.
The only way to stop her from eating it is to make it unavailable to her.
Could you put the cat in a small room or a large crate with food and water?

I would run this problem by your vet, he may reconsider his advice to leave food out all the time (7-10 pounds is a good weight for a toy breed).

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Pippin_Dog

Is it dangerous for her to eat it? I tried to do research but there were so many different responses and the vets office I take my animals too won't even answer my simple questions about that without setting an apointment and I don't have the money to pay to visit them just to ask a question!  I can try to keep them apart by closing doors but that becomes an issue with making sure the cat can get to his cat box (again not moving that from the bathroom as the cat doesn't know how to use the box without getting the litter all over the floor) My apartment is lacking in doors that shut tight enough for the cat and dog to not be able to just body slam them back open, but I'll give that a try. I can't put the cat in a crate as I don't have a crate.

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
doglady

[ Edited ]

I don't know if eating cat food for your dog would be dangerous?  I suspect it may be too greasy for her and could potentially cause GI upset, diarrhea, vomting.

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
doglady

The Dangers of a Dog Eating Cat Food

By Wilmarie Groenewald, eHow Contributor

Most dogs will eat anything they are given or that they find falling on the floor, so it is obvious that they will also eat the cat's food if they can reach it. But dogs and cats have different nutritional requirements, and even though the dog might like the cat food, it might not be the healthy option

Nutritional Differences

• Cats are carnivores, and they require a lot of meat in their diet, which means that cat foods are very high in protein, with very few other dietary supplements. Dogs, on the other hand, are omnivores and therefore require a balanced diet of meat and plant materials. Dog foods are therefore balanced to provide your pet with the optimal intake of meat, vegetables and carbohydrates, whether this is in the form of dry or wet food. Dog food is also formulated for certain weight and age groups -- in some cases even for specific breeds, whereas cat food is less specific.

Obesity

• Dogs require plant materials and carbohydrates to assist their digestive track with the processing of foods. Because cat food contains a high percentage of protein and very little in terms of plant materials and carbohydrates, the dog can easily become obese, as the digestive track will not function as well as it should. The occasional cat food meal will definitely not harm a dog's digestive tract, but if your dog regularly eats cat food, the effects will eventually start to show, especially if it is a breed prone to obesity, such as labradors. A dog eating cat food might have an upset stomach.

The Kidney Myth

• It is believed that feeding dogs a high-protein diet might cause kidney problems, but according to some experts, this is nothing more than an unfounded myth. At the Fourth Annual International Sled Dog Veterinary Medical Association Symposium, Prof. Dominique Grandjean DVM, Ph.D. stated that "the dog can digest large amounts of proteins, especially those of animal origin." Veterinarians will, however, recommend a low-protein diet if the dog already has problematic kidneys or high blood urea nitrogen (BUN) levels. Therefore, the only concern when dogs eat cat food is that the dog might not receive all the necessary nutrients.

Advice and Guidance

• Small dogs and large dogs do not have the same nutritional needs, and the same also goes for different dog breeds. Larger dogs require a high calcium intake in the puppy stage to help with bone development, whereas smaller dogs do not necessarily require the same amount of calcium. Veterinarians and dog nutritionists have formulated specific foods for specific dog sizes, ages and breeds, all of which are widely available. Therefore, it is recommended to consult your veterinarian with regard to your dog's diet, as he will be able to recommend the best food.

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/info_8479951_dangers-dog-eating-cat-food.html#ixzz2YprlMGyI

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Shotoo2

Hello Pippin,

The problem you're encountering isn't uncommon. Your dog has basically decided which food it prefers (the cat food) and is willing to play the waiting game as long as it takes to get it.

So, there are two things I would suggest right away. For one, you should put the cat food dish on a countertop or other high surface that the dog cannot access. Secondly, you should try Freshpet dog food, which is available in a refrigerated chiller at many Petcos. I've found that it often works for really picky eaters, because it's basically just pasteurized. This helps it keep its natural flavors, which makes it more appealing to dogs. Kibble and canned food are cooked at such high temperatures generally that some sort of flavoring agent must be added (rendered fat coating, freeze-dried raw coating, etc.) in order to make the food tasty.

The grain-free "Vital" rolls in particular have a high meat content (around 85-90%), which again, makes them smell and taste better to very finnicky dogs.

I hope this was helpful.

Please use plain text.
EmmaJay

LOL, this is so cute. For a while. And then, yes you get worried. My cat has been eating my ducks poultry food, because she's an outdoor cat, and I was worried she was getting sick. She finally get a <a href="http://coburgveterinaryclinic.com/services.html">pet exam coburg or</a> and took care of her.

Thanks for the story!

-EmmaJay

Please use plain text.

Shop petco.com     Find a Store