Untitled Document
Pet Talk Place - where pet lovers connect, share and learn adopted by Petco
lbach16

how many glofish can you put in a 2 gallon tank

how many glofish can you put in a 2 gallon tank?  Do you have to buy them in groups of 3?
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
Oliver11

RE: how many glofish can you put in a 2 gallon tank

I wouldn't recommend getting Glofish for a 2 gallon tank as they need to be in schools of about 5 or more. Get a betta instead, that is really the only fish for that size of a tank. I have a betta in a 2.5 gallon tank with two snails (and soon a 3rd one will be added). He is perfectly happy and is quite entertaining. Bettas are fairly easy to take care of if you know what you are doing. Check out nippyfish.net for more info.

Another option is 2 African Dwarf Frogs. They are tiny little frogs that love to float around and only need to be fed every 2-3 days. ADFs (a shorter version of african dwarf frogs) are very cute (I guess you could say) and are different than your regular fish. I got 2 frogs about 3 years ago. One of them died in about 6 months but the other lived for about 2 1/2- 3 years old. He sadly died on Christmas Eve last year. I did like them though. It's a great option if you don't want a fish.
"Live life for the moment because everything else is uncertain" Louis Tomlinson
Please use plain text.
Contributor
daisy12

I agree. Glofish like to be with atleast one other glofish. I recomend getting maybe 1 medium size tropical fish.
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
lefty317

ditto, i would start with a minimum of 10 gallons for glowfish, and a 15 would be better, especially if you want to add the 420 nm bulb that shows them off... and then there are the new green glowlight tetras that will be arriving at your neighborhood petco soon.
To the logician all things should be seen exactly as they are. Any attempt at modesty is as much of an untruth as an exaggeration of ones ability.

Sherlock Holmes
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
Oliver11

With 1-2 tropical fish, that is really pushing it. I strongly feel that bettas only really work that size of a tank.

Black lights just make those GloFish so pretty! They still kinda "glow" without it though, so it isn't a must. 10+ gallons is pretty much the size all fish need except some guppies may thrive or neons in a 5 gallon tank. But as I said before, that's pushing it. If you want these kinds of fish, gotta upgrade your tank size first!
Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
Darwin_Ahoy

Correct. Nothing in this size tank except a betta, or perhaps a paradise fish (pushing it...). Do not attempt small schooling fish (neons, glowlights, pencilfish, etc.) in less than 10 gallons, and small danios (GloFish, zebra, etc.) really should be in a tank of at least 30" (20 gallon long, 29 gallon, larger) to accommodate their more active behavior.

A nice option that has been growing in popularity is a shrimp tank. With the right lighting, you can easily have a nano planted tank with a nice colony of cherry, crystal red, or other small shrimp species.
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
Oliver11

I like the shrimp tank idea, with some live plants, could be very pretty! But seeing as most people just want fish and not shrimp, bettas are always the way to go for your size of a tank.
Please use plain text.
L
Contributor
L

Fish such as GloFish are usually best kept in groups of five or more, with ten being comfortable for them. I have eight tetra in a ten gallon, and they aren't keen to school or swim much. I don't imagine GloFish are much different, so a tank larger than ten gallons might be needed for these.

I agree, guppies could be a good option. They are known to be a tolerant fish. Bettas are especially easy to take care of. We think of them as red or blue fish, because those are the most common colors sold. They actually come in many colors, including neon-purple, orange, black, white, teal, multi-color, etc.

Shrimp are also good for the tank because they get along with everyone. Snails are the same way (nerite/apple "mystery" snails come to mind). Specialty shrimp, such as crystal reds, are extremely expensive (sometimes going for as much as $30 per shrimp!) and are very exact when it comes to their enviornment. They are also heavily bred for the best colors, making their immune systems weak (lack of gene variety). If you'd like to try shrimp, I'd recommend starting with Amano shrimp or Red Cherry Shrimp. These are very tolerant, are cheaper, and are abundant :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
Oliver11

$30 bucks per shrimp! When did pets become so expensive? That just doesn't seem right. 
Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
Darwin_Ahoy

Pfft...chump change compared to what some Sulawasi shrimp species were going for a few years ago.
Please use plain text.

Shop petco.com     Find a Store