Untitled Document
Pet Talk Place - where pet lovers connect, share and learn adopted by Petco
maxxb

does petco abuse their hamsters/animals/ect?

I heard on the internet and there was a video saying that petco abuses their pets/ect.

Is it true at all?

Please use plain text.
VIP
Moose

Re: does petco abuse their hamsters/animals/ect?

As far as I can tell, no. From a logical standpoint, petco, petsmart, and other national or regional pet stores wouldn't be in business if they abused their animals. I did just observe that petsmart changed bedding from woodshavings to what appeared to be carefresh. Some companies like to sya that petsmart and petco abuse their animals to try and get animals from shelters and breeders. I think those companies are ruining their reputation, when they are trying to ruin petsmart or petco's reputation. 

Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen. -Micheal Jordan
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
SIRIUS

Hi maxxb and welcome to Pet Talk Place. Thank you for raising your concern about these issues that you see in the internet. I would like to take this opportunity to explain how much companion animals mean to Petco and how we care for them as a company. We are very dedicated to ensuring that all animals receive more than just the basics to survive. Our in-store animal care standards ensure that all animals are checked on every hour. During that check, we observe the health and behaviors of animals, refill their food and water, and tidy up as needed. We also invest a great deal of time hiring associates who not only love animals but also share our passion for their well-being and quality of life. We also provide as much help and knowledge to our associates as possible to ensure that our companion animals receive the highest level of care.

In the event that you witness a situation in a particular store that you believe may fall short of our high standards, please feel free to send me a private message with specific information. Please include the store location you visited, the date of your visit, and a detailed description of the situation, as well as the action taken by the store management when you alerted them of your concerns. By giving us this type of detailed information, we can act immediately to investigate and take whatever action is necessary to resolve the issue.

Please feel free to post again on our forum and have a great day!

some_text

"A house completely becomes a HOME when there is a pet around."

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Rat lover 101

no because i have a perfect healthy rat from petco
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
rokar

i got my guinea pig 5 months ago from petco and not a sign of abuse. all the fish i have bought from them as well all very healthy even more so then what i have seen at local fish stores.

Please use plain text.
liquiddolphin

Ok. I just yesterday went to the local Petco in College Station, texas. What I saw as far as handling was appalling. It was somewhere between 10:00 am and 11:00 am. Two male employees had a glass aquarium sitting on top of the Ferret enclosure that they have and were transferring rats from that aquarium to one where the other rats were. They grabbed the rats by their tails three at a time and set them down in the new cage. About 2 years ago I knew nothing about rats, their care, or handling, and when I selected the two males I wanted, the store manager was the one that told me that it was ok to grab them by their tails, that it would not hurt them. I now have four male rats, and have of course learned a lot about them. NEVER is it ok to grab a rat like that! it HURTS them severely!! The two employees asked me if they could help me, and I just shook my head in disgust and walked away. At that time, I was too angry to talk. When I go in the store any other time, the cages are always dirty. And all the rats have Mico. This store is ridiculous, and has now lost all further business from me. April
Please use plain text.
marienze
Topics: 0
Kudos: 4
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 0

hi liquiddolphin.

Thank you for reaching out to us. I will escalate this for you. Thank you.

Love the animals: God has given them the rudiments of thought and joy untroubled.

-Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
LuvPets

NO.  I work for a petco and abuse is far from what we do.  However, we do get sick animals in sometimes from the supplier and if the manager accepting the animals in is not checking for illness, then a sick animal might come through the door.  Yet, once a sick animal is found then it is treated by a vet, yes an actual vet.  If an animal is suffering and cannot be helped then euth is done for the best interest of the animal.  The videos on teh internet wrap all the big chains into one bad place.  However, because of the policies Petco follows, the animals are taken into the highest respect and treated as if they were part of our family until they get a forever home.

In my opinion, the small petstores that are hole in the walls that do not have a set research team in place that is always looking for the best for those animals, is more "abusive" than the larger chains.

My small animal manager is so picky she individually checks EACH small animal the supplier brings.  If they are ill and  can be treated in store she puts them in wellness, if not they go back to the supplier.  She even researched for a new vet because the clinic we had been using switched the vet and she did not like how she was diagnosing the animals.  Yes, some of our associates are not big fans of the small animals but they do not go out of their way to treat them bad.  Instead the ones that adore them take care of them.  Our small animals get veggies and millet and their cages cleaned. Some even get held when we have time.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
LuvPets

That is terrible.  Unfortunaely rat and mouse care is something new to the world of pets on a large scale. Some people still believe they are only meant as snake food which is not the case.  My petco store, we do NOT pick up the rats by their tails and even avoid having to pick the mice up like this too.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
AnimalLady

Every local Petco I've been to (NYC) is really amazing-I've been allowed (encouraged even, when time allowed) to hold any animal I am interested in purchasing. The staff is knowledgeable, kind and loves  the animals.

The only problem I had was the person who told me to change the unfiltered goldfish water every other day-which ended up shocking their systems and killing them. (And that was after I used conditioner.)

Please use plain text.

Shop petco.com     Find a Store