Pet Talk Place - where pet lovers connect, share and learn adopted by Petco
Valued Contributor
The_Big_A

Who thinks electric fences hurt dogs?

"Whatever happens, happens. I just go with the flow." - Linsey Weenk
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
Violet,Violet

RE: Who thinks electric fences hurt dogs?

Who thinks electric fences hurt dogs? Yes/No

I'm going to be a jerk and point out that the grammar of this makes no sense. You could say:

Do electric fences hurt dogs? Yes/No
Who thinks electric fences hurt dogs? I do/ I don't

And are you thinking of electric fences like the type you use for horses, or the kind where they where a collar shocks when they get close to a fence, or are you talking about an electric fence used to keep people out (higher voltage, which could cause death).

Having been on more than one farm, I would say dogs get used pretty used to the kind of fences you use with horses, and those things aren't designed to really hurt a dog or any animal/person. It feels warm, not like a real jolt of electricity (everyone ends up bumping into them once), and they are usually spread between segments of real fence, which the dogs use to go in and out of the pasture.

Collars, on the other hand, I think are inhumane. A real electric fence is deadly, but I sort of doubt that you're referencing those.
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
mspnd

If the original poster is referencing the "invisible fence" which is used to train a dog to stay in its yard, I am totally against them for a variety of reasons.

A dog wears a collar and if it gets near the fence line, it receives a warning.  If it gets even closer it's shocked.  If a dog gets a good running start they could blow past the barrier with no problem, even if it receives a shock.  A person can still take a dog from the yard.  Not to mention the trauma a dog undergoes which be shocked.

I also hate the barking collars that deliver a shock to the dog for barking.  there are better ways to train a dog than delivering a shock to them.  The damage that electric shock can cause far outweighs any benefit (and I use that term losely) received.
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
Oliver11

I think it's an imhumane practice to keep your dog in your yard. Dogs can still break out. Yes, it may hurt, but they don't really care. So does it solve the problem? No, not really. 

I'd still never get an invisible fence. 
"Live life for the moment because everything else is uncertain" Louis Tomlinson
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
The_Big_A

Im talking about the invisible ones where the dog wears the collar so it will stay in the yard.
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
doglady

Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
huachinango

I don't think it's inhumane so much as totally ineffective at protecting your dog.  Some dogs will take off so fast after a cat or squirrel they see in an adjacent yard, they won't even feel the jolt of electricity as they wing right through it.  But then they become hesitant to return to their own yard, because the nearer they get, the more juice they receive, right? The electric impulse gets stronger whether they are trying to leave or trying to come back. It only works on proximity, not direction. In effect, you are punishing the dog who wants to return, which is bad training.

As other people noticed, other dogs can taunt your dog or enter the yard and injure them.  In the case of my boss, a stray male entered his yard and impregnated his purebred but un-spayed Viszla. So this fencing method isn't  even effective for contraception!
“The oceans are the planet's last great living wilderness, man's only remaining frontier on Earth, and perhaps his last chance to prove himself a rational species.”
― John L. Culliney
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
Violet,Violet

My dog runs head first into bushes, I know because I routinely find scratches beside his eyes and on his face because of this. There's no way anything but a large, debilitating shock would affect him when he was really chasing after something. I don't use shock collars, chokers, or prong collars for the same reason. He doesn't think when he wants to go get a squirrel, he just bolts. I use a Gentle Leader head harness or a no pull harness which attaches to the leash at the front of his chest (when he pulls he is then pulled to the side). Both of these give me control without causing him any physical pain.

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
The_Big_A

I would say it hurts them but no alot.
Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
huachinango

What's the point of having it if it doesn't protect your dog?

So you're saying it's useless, but at least it doesn't hurt a lot. Meanwhile, dog training "experts" are designing lots of other dumb gadgets that don't work but also don't hurt a lot: like spiked collars and choke collars and shock collars and loads of other crap. We've just got to stop buying this garbage and train our dogs. 

Why should it have to hurt at all? Get a real fence, or better yet, get off the couch and walk your dog.

“The oceans are the planet's last great living wilderness, man's only remaining frontier on Earth, and perhaps his last chance to prove himself a rational species.”
― John L. Culliney
Please use plain text.

Shop petco.com     Find a Store