Untitled Document
Pet Talk Place - where pet lovers connect, share and learn adopted by Petco
Contributor
Marek_Mom

Speaking of Dollar Per Gallon Sale

Does anyone know when it is? I'm a new Petco customer and I've been seeing this "Dollar Per Gallon Sale" in several threads. 

Is this similar to a secret sale that's announced on short notice or is it held annually/ bi-annually during particular months? 

I would really like to invest in a 30-50 gallon tank. I don't have room for it now but we're planning to buy a house next year and this sounds like an incredible deal- too good to pass up!
Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
huachinango

RE: Speaking of Dollar Per Gallon Sale

They do it a couple times a year and tanks from 5 to 55 gallons are usually included. While quantities last.

I am wanting to replace an older 55 gallon tank of mine that has a weakening frame.
“The oceans are the planet's last great living wilderness, man's only remaining frontier on Earth, and perhaps his last chance to prove himself a rational species.”
― John L. Culliney
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Marek_Mom

Thanks, I'll have to keep checking in store. I don't receive a Petco ad and when I try to view the online ad, I receive a message telling me there are no local ads (which is odd considering there's a Petco less than 7 miles from me). 

I think I want a 55 gallon. I'm afraid I will buy a 30 gallon and not be able to add as many fish as I like. I really need to research it first so I know what I'm getting myself into. If it were up to me, I would have one schooling fish and a bunch of Black Mollies. I want fish that approach the tank when I get near it. My molly does (and we may or may not make kissy faces at each other) but the danio never stops swimming. I'm too hyper to have hyper fish- I really want slow, relaxed fish. lol 

How long has your 55 gallon lasted before the frame began to weaken? I never really thought about wear and tear I'd endure. 
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
KatS

No secret sales. Last year we had them every 3 months this year we had one in January and I know we have one in late summer, early fall. I know at my store in June we are having the sale but I think that it is because of our grand reopening. Starting tomorrow we are going though a remodel (very minor since our store is only 5 1/2 years old and our store is in great shape). A few weeks afterwards they have specials that are good for just that weekend, I think just at that store. 

The sale changes every year. I have never seen the 5 gallon go on sale. It usually is the 10, 20L, 29,  40B and 55 gallon tanks. I know that there have been times that the 55 gallon don't go on sale. At my store they've stopped carrying the 55 gallon tanks and kits. The 55 gallon tank was on clearance for $85 a few weeks ago. 

Knock on wood my 125 is 11 years old. We have only moved it once since we got this tank. Next move in 3 years it will either stay with the house or we will sell it. We decided that we are going to move very little with us when we move out west.  
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
Oliver11

I can't wait for the sale! Gonna by a 10 or 20 gallon for my hamster.
"Live life for the moment because everything else is uncertain" Louis Tomlinson
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
lefty317

mom, a couple of thoughts.... if your looking at a thirty gallon, we have a great 29 gallon kit that goes on a good sale with some degree of regularity, and if we run out, more than likely you can get a raincheck and have one in a couple of days.  (just ask sjogirl how many days).  there are enough petco employees on this site that you will know when the sale hits.
To the logician all things should be seen exactly as they are. Any attempt at modesty is as much of an untruth as an exaggeration of ones ability.

Sherlock Holmes
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
KatS

I agree the dollar per gallon sale isn't for everyone. If you have everything already (lights, heater, filter) or are buying it for a reptile (or small animal) the sale is great. Otherwise by time you buy all that is needed a kit usually comes up cheaper. The DPG sale is great when you want a certain type of lights (like L.E.D. or T5 etc.) or  a filter too. I know we've had the 29 gallon kit as low as $69.99, normally $131.99.
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
lefty317

right you are again kats, even when the 55 goes on sale for $55, by the time you add the aqueon 55-70 filter, 300w heater, and a pair of 15 gallon sized hoods with bulbs you are well over the $200 we get for the 55 gallon kit, let alone when it goes on sale for $120!
To the logician all things should be seen exactly as they are. Any attempt at modesty is as much of an untruth as an exaggeration of ones ability.

Sherlock Holmes
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
fishguy1998

But the kits dont come with the best filters or lights so if you just buy the tank and everything else you cna get better filters lights heaters. 
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
Oliver11

You got that right. But I find the kits I got very nice.
"Live life for the moment because everything else is uncertain" Louis Tomlinson
Please use plain text.

Shop petco.com     Find a Store