Untitled Document
Pet Talk Place - where pet lovers connect, share and learn adopted by Petco
Contributor
xsillysara

Pit bull puppy. Chewing everything!

Hi everyone, I have a little pitbull puppy. She keeps chewing on everything. At night, I have to put her in a cage in my room because she crys when she's by herself. She's ruined 4 of my computer mice from chewing on them. She's chewed on the couches. (They are leather) now they have holes in them.

Any idea about what to do with this? My parents are getting really tired of this and there about ready to get rid of her if she doesn't stop. We've gave her tons of toys, ropes, and other things to chew on. She chewed them for less than a week and started chewing on stuff around the house again. Every time she chews on stuff we put her in her cage..but nothing seems to work.

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
doglady

RE: Pit bull puppy. Chewing everything!

This is how it is, the puppy is teething, this behavior will gradually stop when she's about one to one and a half years old, until then you have to watch her like a hawk, if you leave her unattended, at least gate the puppy in a small room with nothing she can destroy, give her plenty of toys , raw carrots etc.  Those tug of war rope toys are good and help soothe her gums, play with her as much as you can.  Start thinking about getting her fixed before she's nine months old,  this will help calm her down too.  
Please use plain text.
Contributor
xsillysara

Okay, thanks for the advice of putting her in a room with things she can't chew.

Hope it works!

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
doglady

[ Edited ]

Yeah,  but don't put her behind a closed door,  they will claw, chew on wood work also,   you could use one of those pet gates if you have to leave her alone,  leave a radio on, give her a towel or something with your scent on it.  Put newspaper or pads down for her to eliminate on. Fill a kong with something tasty that she will have to work on to get out.  Big dish of fresh water.   Play with her for at least a half hour before you leave,  try to get her tired out.   Good luck.

Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
huachinango

Just a pit bull puppy doing what pit bull puppies do! She must learn that some things are hers always and other things are never hers to chew on. No middle ground. You will not solve this problem or complete this training quickly, especially when her gums are demanding that she chew to alleviate discomfort. And, as doglady said, the adult teeth may appear, but the chewing tendency will last well into the dog's second year.  Sorry, but patience is part of owning any animal.  But it will get better. For now, I agree that the best course of action is to train her gently, exercise her vigorously, and manipulate her environment to encourage success. If your family leaves its shoes scattered among her chew toys, you really shouldn't be surprised when she doesn't notice a difference.

“The oceans are the planet's last great living wilderness, man's only remaining frontier on Earth, and perhaps his last chance to prove himself a rational species.”
― John L. Culliney
Please use plain text.
Contributor
xsillysara

I've learned about shoes lol. Shes chewed my $100 Nikes already, but you can't notice that she did so thats a good thing.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
megs2046

Is she food motivated?

There are lots of different types of toys you can stuff or lace with food. smear peanut butter on a rope toy, or but an omlete in a kong ( I found a place online with 5 homemade kong stuffin receipes, this was one and it doesn't bug my 6 month old's tummy)

If your pit bull associates her toys with being yummy and sort of rewarding her for chewing on them she'll probably pick them over other items.

Also try items that smell like you. If you google "homemade dog toys" or "cheap dog toys" there are instructions to make a dog toy chew out of a pair of jeans. It sounds like your puppy is chewing things that might smell like people?

Finally have you found any sounds that she likes a toy to make? Squeakers, suffed animals that have material in their ears... I don't know what is' called but it's a differnt noise, water bottle crunching? They sell stuffing-free animals that go over a water bottle. Mabye this sound would be fun and make your pit want to chew it?

Finally let her/ have a stick inside or something that she maybe enjoys outside. you'd have to clean it up, but it's easier than replacing furniture!

Good luck!

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
AleG08

I am going through the same exact thing with my 6 month old puppy. He chews everything from shoes to clothes to the carpet or anything he can get his teeth on. Lol I suggest purchasing Kongs or special nylon bones that your puppy can chew on and also watch it very carefully and if you ever see it chewing on something it's not suppose to then don't hit it or anything just in a firm voice say No and instead give it one of it's toys that it can chew on such as a Kong or a rope toy. Good Luck. :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
ashleyrainey35

The only things i can think of is to put peanut butter in a kong and freeze it over night.  This will make it last much longer and your dog will try all day to get it out.  I did this with my chocolate lab puppy and it got him to stop chewing everything.  Good Luck!
Please use plain text.
Lexi

I have a 7 month old pit and she's adorable but when I got her she was chewing on everything as well. Honestly these dogs get bored so keep them entertained I give her treats in her Kong so it takes her a bit to get them out. Just try to keep your pit entertained so he/she doesn't end up hurting itself or any of your things!

Please use plain text.

Shop petco.com     Find a Store