Untitled Document
Pet Talk Place - where pet lovers connect, share and learn adopted by Petco
Valued Contributor
The_Big_A
Accepted Solution

Paradise Fish

Ok, so I know some of you know how Pet Co and Pet Smart would never order me Paradise Fish and my local fish stores had them for crazy prices. Well yesterday I went into petco and there they were. Paradise Fish, red and blue paradise fish. I got one red and one blue. The blue one is brightly colored with long fins and the red paradise fish is dull with a tad bit shorter fins. Well anyway I really want the colors of my Red Paradise Fish to show. Should I use color enhances? They will go in my 10 gallon tank and be the only fish since I put the Honey Goiramis in my 55 and I never got the shrimp. The tank is at 78 degreese and has a 15 gallon filter on it. Can I put in 3 Corries and call it a finished tank?
"Whatever happens, happens. I just go with the flow." - Linsey Weenk
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
birdsforvever2

RE: Paradise Fish

WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?!!?

Keeping TWO in a 10 gallon is a recipe for disaster.  Paradise fish really don't tolerate others of their species.  That's why they do well in smaller tanks BY THEMSELVES.

BTW, chances are that the red is probably a female because you say it has shorter fins. 
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
The_Big_A

They've all been peaceful for me in the past....... Not much shorter. Just a little bit
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
GeckoGeek

Doesn't mean they will be now.

Well, I'm no fish expert, but I do know that a ten gallon would be to small for Paradise Fish, especially two. I could easily be wrong, but I think I'm going to agree with Birds here.

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
GeckoGeek

"There a'int no room is this town for the both of us."

Some quote from some random Western movie, lol.

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
birdsforvever2

Peaceful alone, right?  Alone as in the only one of their kind in a tank....

I really don't want to get all worked up about this right now, so I'll let someone else have a go.

Ten gallons is a suitable size, I believe, for a paradise fish and not much else.  A snail or two maybe?  Definitely not another fish.
Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
Darwin_Ahoy

Two paradise fish will almost certainly fight at some point. I always have them at my store, and I constantly have to separate them once I sell too many and there's no longer enough in the tank to disperse their aggression. Treat them like bettas in regards to their social behaviors.
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
The_Big_A

Ohhhh, c***! I guess I screwed up again. I used to have 2 in my 20 gallon. I guess im screwed unless I get rid of one.
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
The_Big_A

I'm going to get rid of them because when it comes to fish I don't want to see my favorite phrase.

It is "This is going to be a fight (insert name here) a fight to the finish. Let us fight (insert another name here). Don't call the match down the middle. let us Break the rules and let us fight to the finish......or the death."

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
GeckoGeek

What to you mean by "get rid of"?
Please use plain text.

Shop petco.com     Find a Store