Untitled Document
Pet Talk Place - where pet lovers connect, share and learn adopted by Petco
Frequent Contributor
kittylover223
Accepted Solution

Is this normal?

After a week, Flee and Dodo accepted Nipper into our home. But, however, Fluffy is still growling and hissing at him (she's doing it less now) when he tries to be friends with her. She doesn't want him around her at all, and he's trying to be nice to her. What can I do?

Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
huachinango

Re: Is this normal?

This is 100% completely and totally normal.  Fluffy is holding out until she is sure that Nipper understands her social rank relative to his.  When he attempts to "play" with her or "be nice" my guess is that she is irritated because, in her world, he doesn't understand he is not even allowed to "talk" to her just yet.  When these two finally play, it will probably be at her insistence. Even then, she may have to reprimand him along the way if he breaks any of her "rules."

As I said, I acquired a new kitten at the beginning of September and it wasn't until last week that he and my Black Cat took another step toward friendship and I saw the two of them actually napping together.  Four months!  Until then, things would go along peacefully, but every so often she would chase him off behind the stove in a hissing fit because he had doubtless overstepped the bounds of familiarity.  Like you, my other cats accepted him almost immediately.  If you return the kitten to his own room for a time, it will give Fluffy some reassurance and she will be able to relax and cope. 

I would still urge you to slow down.  This has only been a couple weeks.  Kittens are very enthusiastic and energetic, and sometimes their quick movements and quick "decisions" to approach an older cat are not appreciated. Overall I would say that things as you describe them are going very well and right on schedule.

“The oceans are the planet's last great living wilderness, man's only remaining frontier on Earth, and perhaps his last chance to prove himself a rational species.”
― John L. Culliney
Please use plain text.
Frequent Contributor
kittylover223

Thank you for the very helpful advice.

Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
huachinango

No problem! I look forward to hearing how it all shakes out.  My two female cats were not littermates and when I brought them home together they too had a period of adjustment. The older one had to keep swatting the younger one back into place.  The little one was simply trying to rush the friendship.  Now I often find them curled up together in a tiny cat bed only really intended for a single cat! They are very good friends, so don't despair. Often older females will take very kindly and act rather maternal toward younger male kittens and then they become inseparable friends.

“The oceans are the planet's last great living wilderness, man's only remaining frontier on Earth, and perhaps his last chance to prove himself a rational species.”
― John L. Culliney
Please use plain text.

Shop petco.com     Find a Store