Untitled Document
Pet Talk Place - where pet lovers connect, share and learn adopted by Petco
New Contributor
lpickeri
Accepted Solution

Dog not eating...

I am babysitting my cousin's dog.  He is a 1yr old male.  He is a very happy dog and is drinking lot of water, running around and wagging his tail.  This is the first time I am babysitting my cousin's dog and this is the first time he has slept over.  Is he not eating because he is excited?  He's very happy just he doesn't want his Blue Diamond dry food.  He was eating fine at my cousin's house, but now that he is here, and its only been one day he hasn't taken a nibble of his food.  Advice Please.

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
doglady

Re: Dog not eating...

[ Edited ]

Often dogs won't eat when they are in a strange environment or at the kennel. They try to wait till they get home.
As long as he is drinking adequate fluids and acting normal otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much...however if it goes on more then 72 hours and enticing him doesn't work, ie: pour a little bit of hamburger juice on his food, then I would be concerned.
How long is the owner going to be away? Some dogs get depressed and stop eating, they think they have been abandoned,   

If The Dog Consumes No Food x 3 Days, CALL THE VET

Let us know what happens.

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
doglady

Another thought, offer him the food twice a day (whatever his routine at home is) but don't leave it out all day, pick it up after 20 minutes if he's not interested.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
lpickeri

Thank you I did the 20 min thing of picking up the food.  I went a step futher and just a few sprinkles of water in his food to give it some texture, and then I put his food down and it was GONE it seconds!  So relieved!  I just want to be a good cousin.  So it was a relief.  So thank you for your help!  Thank you.

Lauren

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
doglady

You're welcome :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.

Shop petco.com     Find a Store