Pet Talk Place - where pet lovers connect, share and learn adopted by Petco
Super Contributor
petlover01

Do Think Pitbulls Should Be Illegal?

"Just keep swimming"~Dory
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
Kitty

RE: Do Think Pitbulls Should Be Illegal?

No, they shouldn't. They're just dogs. People think they're mean becuz people treat them badly and train them to fight other dogs and get hurt. That way, when the dog goes to a shelter and has an agressive personality/attitude. (which ever one works) THey shouldn't be treated that way, if they have such an agressive personality, they'll get them themselves put down. Just so sad how people treat aniamls, thinking they're just dogs, and just dogs, thats all. Not just only Pitbulls, others too. We'll see what Oliver11 says about this, I think she likes Pitbulls.
~It's just curious ole' me!
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
petlover01

My vote is no!!!
"Just keep swimming"~Dory
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
Kitty

Yeah. I'm actually not a big fan, but they are animals, so they do need some love. My favorite is the German Shepard. I like watching them sniff the cars for Bombs or Drugs, while working with they're Border Patrol Partner. Just saw one sniff our car when we came back form San Diego, CA today. I want one when I grow up.
Me&MyCANINE... hmmmmmmmmmmmm.. I should start a show called that, LOL.

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
Oliver11

No! All dogs are dogs, and if we want to ban one dog breed, then we should ban the rest! It's just not fair. I have heard many horror stories of people having to get rid of their lovable pitties because of stupid laws in apartments, etc. Why can't we show compassion? Pit bulls were not meant for fighting, they wanted to be family pets. Then we've got butt heads of people coming in a killing this dog breed you could say, making them fight and be aggressive. The only reason these dogs get a bad rap is because of these people, and others can't realize that not all pit bulls are like this. Come on everyone, open up your eyes and see that pit bulls are just like all other dogs, they want to be loved and have a good home!

Sorry if this is harsh, but I love this dog breed and try to speak the truth! 
"Live life for the moment because everything else is uncertain" Louis Tomlinson
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
Kitty

No problem, not harsh. I see what you mean, I know you love these pitts. Many single people have dogs, as a companion. Some are small toy dogs, meant to be a little lap dog. Others, bigger ones, meant to protect and be a great companion. See?????? Dogs are part of a family, just like a human!!!!! But furry! People need to treat  their pets with care and love (not sure if that makes sense).
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
Oliver11

Yeah, and still people find pit bulls unruly and awful pups. One day, everyone will know and speak the truth.
"Live life for the moment because everything else is uncertain" Louis Tomlinson
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
Kitty

Some people are afraid of them, just becuz they're known to be brought up with a nasty reputation. Like my mom, she doesn't know anything about dogs. Sometimes, she'll ask me. "Are those dogs killers?" I'll be like: "No, unless you bring them up like that." My dad doesn't like big dogs, soooo against him.

Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
huachinango

I don't think they should be illegal. But I think we should be careful about where we place dogs that come from a fighting background, and preferably home such dogs in rural settings where they are less likely to come into contact with people or pets they may harm.

Puppies and adults that have never been exposed to fighting should be screened for temperament the same as any dog to determine its fitness for adoption and, if so, with what restrictions.

I do not join the optimistic folks who believe that every single dog can be saved.  Sorry.  And It sucks that the dog has to pay the ultimate price just for having had an idiot owner that was cruel and abusive. But I believe it does a huge disservice to this breed as a whole to take the "soft" route and allow people to adopt animals that may be ticking time bombs.  If you really want to improve the fortunes of this breed in the eyes of the public we must:

1.  Stop dog fighting

2.  Stop unchecked breeding of pit bulls

3.  Carefully screen dogs for temperament and pet-worthiness

4.  Refuse to adopt out dogs of questionable temperament to any but the most expert owners or not at all. 

5.  Encourage competitions among pits that are humane, such as obedience and agility training. 

It's so much better for someone to experience a victory with an animal when the success is built on a beautiful Dog-Owner bond of trust and affection!!

“The oceans are the planet's last great living wilderness, man's only remaining frontier on Earth, and perhaps his last chance to prove himself a rational species.”
― John L. Culliney
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
Violet,Violet

Most shelters have a policy about taking in past fighters, usually they put them down immediately. Frankly, I understand that. If they've been raised to be scared of everything and attack viciously, there is very little you can do to change them. It isn't their fault, but sometimes the damage is irreparable and most rescue organizations do not have the resources to attempt a rehabilitation.

That being said, all of the pit bulls I have met have been amazing, caring, people focused animals. The ones I've met at the dog park crave human attention, and would much rather come sit by me with a mouth-full of tennis balls than wrestle around with the other dogs. They do get a bad rap, and I don't think the six million TV shows about them are helping with the stigmatization of these animals. I like the idea of focusing our attention on healthy sports and activities for these animals, instead of showing them as a dog that either needs to be rescued or put down.

All dogs, before being adopted out, should go through some sort of screening and behavioral testing. My dog, who I got from the Humane Society at two years old was given a test like this, which I just found the papers for the other day (pretty interesting to read). His test looked for many different things, like sociability, past training, aggression towards other animals, and separation anxiety. Simple tests take only ten to fifteen minutes and a couple volunteers. It's a small price to pay so that the shelter can figure out how much training an animal needs before it can find a home. This should be routine for every dog, not so that we can put down all of the "bad dogs", but so that we can identify certain traits or characteristics early and find a way to effectively curb bad behaviors and ensure a healthy, happy life for both owner and pet.

I'm getting a little annoyed with arguing about pit bulls in specific. All dogs have the ability to harm people and other animals, so we should bring better standards of living to every animal, not just the ones we specifically fear.
Please use plain text.

Shop petco.com     Find a Store