Untitled Document
Pet Talk Place - where pet lovers connect, share and learn adopted by Petco
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
apachemech1

Cichlid Offspring

I set up a new 55gal aquarium, and populated it with Jewel, Acai, and Electric Yellow Cichlids.  I have since had 2 broods from a pair of my Jewels.  The first brood is in a 20gal, and they are currently about 1/2" long.  The second brood is still in the 55gal, with a seperator installed with both parents.  I am trying to find ways to get rid of the babies, as I definatly do not have the room for the additional tanks needed.  Any advice?

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
The_Big_A

RE: Cichlid Offspring

You could give your other fish a snack or you could bring them to your local fish store
"Whatever happens, happens. I just go with the flow." - Linsey Weenk
Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
huachinango

Jewel cichlids, though African, are a west African riverine species that need much softer water. I would separate them from your Lake Malawi species which need nearly the highest level of hardness and alkalinity of any freshwater fish.

As you will have noticed, Jewel cichlids are substrate spawners, unlike the majority of Malawians, which means they vigorously defend a physical territory after egg laying and hatching are complete.  This results in much more prolonged  hostility toward tankmates than when Malawians are kept on their own.  I mean, once a female Malawian is holding eggs, there is no need to hold a territory.  Malawians may not "understand" what all the Jewel's aggression is about, and get badly ripped up. Again, I wouldn't try to keep these species together. . .

I have used fry as a source of live food because, let's face it, one spawning of jewel cichlids, gorgeous as they are, will glut your local market for a year.
“The oceans are the planet's last great living wilderness, man's only remaining frontier on Earth, and perhaps his last chance to prove himself a rational species.”
― John L. Culliney
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
The_Big_A

My Gouramis love fry for dinner
Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
huachinango

Yep. they are little carnivores, that's for sure.  Feeding this kind of live food can help you trigger spawning behavior. Mosquito larvae is their favorite!
“The oceans are the planet's last great living wilderness, man's only remaining frontier on Earth, and perhaps his last chance to prove himself a rational species.”
― John L. Culliney
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
The_Big_A

Live or dead mosquito larvae?
Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
huachinango

Scrumptious live larvae, sin duda!
― John L. Culliney
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
lefty317

unfortunately, da missus has a thing against me raising mosquitos in the back yard, if she knew what half of that stuff in the freezer was, she would have a fit.
To the logician all things should be seen exactly as they are. Any attempt at modesty is as much of an untruth as an exaggeration of ones ability.

Sherlock Holmes
Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
huachinango

Your fate is sealed: you must trudge forth amid standing stagnant waters with a fine-mesh net and collect the little critters.

― John L. Culliney
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
Oliver11

I love my fish, but not enough to give them mosquitoes!
"Live life for the moment because everything else is uncertain" Louis Tomlinson
Please use plain text.

Shop petco.com     Find a Store