The_Big_A
Accepted Solution

Best Beginner Fish?

"Whatever happens, happens. I just go with the flow." - Linsey Weenk
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
GeckoGeek

RE: Best Beginner Fish?

Definitely a betta. They require like, nothing.
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
Aqua

That's wrong Gecko. All animals require things...I could go on explaining this especially on bettas but too tired at the moment. Plus I'm sure you have the knowledge to already know it.
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
birdsforvever2

Let's see...

Bettas are somewhat hardy if their needs are met.  I feel that they tend to be finicky and difficult at times, but over all, an okay choice.

Goldfish are good if you can provide a large enough tank.  Being coldwater fish, they don't really like temperatures that most tropical fish require.  A reliable filter is something that is needed too since they produce a lot of waste.

Glofish, they're just danios.  Danios are relatively hardy, but being schoolers, they should have a long tank to accommodate their active behavior.  Being ''Glofish'' doesn't change that.

Gouramis... Some can be hardy and others, not so much.  I'd say that it depends on their species.

Paradise fish are a very good fish.  They tolerate a wide range of water parameters and don't require too much space.  In a small tank, or a large one but especially in a small tank, water quality is important.  
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
GeckoGeek

Ever heard of an expression? :smileysurprised:
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
The_Big_A

Id have to go with Paradise Fish too. Way more hardy than bettas.

Nope Gecko Ive never heard of a expression!Insert thewinkingemoticon. 
"Whatever happens, happens. I just go with the flow." - Linsey Weenk
Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
huachinango

Platies and  zebra danios would be my top two. If the "glofish" you are referring to is the glo-zebra, not the glo-tetra, I would check that box.

I like the hardiness of Paradise fish and vastly prefer them to bettas,  but they create potential aggression issues and I think whenever we talk about beginner fish we should avoid overly aggressive species. Some gouramis fall into this category, too. Blue gouramis are almost indestructible, but get so pushy as they age.  On the other hand, some gouramis are so delicate, I would hardly recommend them even to experienced aquarists (chocolates, for example).

Regular comet goldfish are easy-care fish as long as they have adequate accommodations, big filtration and frequent water changes.  Fancy goldfish are, in my experience, not easy.  Are far from easy. And the more extreme the type, the more susceptible to health issues.

“The oceans are the planet's last great living wilderness, man's only remaining frontier on Earth, and perhaps his last chance to prove himself a rational species.”
― John L. Culliney
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
Oliver11

In my experience, cherry barbs are very hardy. My 5 have been going strong for what, 3-4 months now? Big tank is needed. I would say they are little bit cramped in the 15 gallon. A 40 gallon breeder with a large school of them would be very nice. 
"Live life for the moment because everything else is uncertain" Louis Tomlinson
Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
huachinango

Checkers and Cherries are great.

And Neon Rosies, tigers and rubies are perfect for a bigger tank.

They just have that drawback of needed longer tanks and being in larger groups.

Rainbows are even more peaceful, but have the same requirements of needing to be in schools and having an even larger adult size. The basic Australian rainbow is gorgeous and affordable, adaptable and hardy. But it gets big. A 6 foot tank would really be best.

The praecox (neon dwarf) rainbow, would work in a 4 foot tank.

Our trouble is that we are always making recommendations for 5 and ten gallon tanks.
“The oceans are the planet's last great living wilderness, man's only remaining frontier on Earth, and perhaps his last chance to prove himself a rational species.”
― John L. Culliney
Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
Darwin_Ahoy

It's difficult, because depending on your native water conditions, various fish may do better or worse for you.

As far as the fish that tend to be hardiest for me in-store...

-pristella tetra
-glowlight tetra
-whitefin rosy tetra
-colombian red/blue tetra
-serpae tetra
-black phantom tetra
-black skirt tetra
-tiger barb (aggressive)
-buenos aires tetra (aggressive)
-odessa barb (aggressive)
-humphead glassfish
-paradise fish (once they whittle themselves down to one)
-discus (surprisingly)
-scissortail rasbora
-harlequin rasbora
-cherry barb
-gold barb

That's all I can think of offhand. These are all species that I'm generally surprised if I find one dead in the tank.
Please use plain text.

Shop petco.com     Find a Store